MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Paul de Thouars pencak silat

View Single Post

Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
timandmonica
MMA Fanatic

timandmonica has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Paul de Thouars

Yes! I did a two day seminar with him back in 1996 or so. It was at this small circle ju-jitsu school, but they had nothing to do with it. Guru Stevan Plinck (a student of his) taught Silat locally so that's how I found out about it. I was heavy into BJJ at the time and was just generally curious about Silat. At that time I had heard that de Thouars was the best in the world at this style and thought there were only a handful of teachers in the world. Since then I've realized that it's much more prevalent and less mysterious than I knew back then. Although it's popularity may have grown since then...

Mostly what I remember is this really old overweight guy who could barely pronounce anything in English throwing us all around the room and saying "How sweet it is!" every time we smacked on the ground. There were a few of Plinck's students there and they helped out a bit. Basically I remember there was a lot of physics involved; some of the stuff they taught about angles changed the way I think about that kind of thing, even to this day. It seems like no matter how hard you tried, they could always end up right beside you, facing your side, and basically clothesline you from there, thus knocking you on your rear. Lot's of fun!

I think I still have the original flyer in a box somewhere...
timandmonica is offline   Reply With Quote