MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Lyoto Machida vs. Dan Henderson Thread

View Single Post

Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #318 (permalink)
GlasgowKiss
Bantamweight

GlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level nowGlasgowKiss is on another level now
Machida landed a laser like shot to Hendo's face, followed by an elbow, when he took him down. The first shot was the cleanest and biggest shot of the whole of the first round I think. Certainly, from what I could work out, it was the laser like strike that caused Hendo to swell up under his right eye. Reminded me of the punch that knocked out Thiago Silva. The only difference was probably a small combination of Hendo having an iron jaw, it catching him higher up in the face and it not being quite as powerful a strike, but the difference was very small.

Interesting that it occurred at basically the same time as it did in the Thiago SIlva fight.

I don't think Hendo took Machida down. When I re-watched it, it looked like Machida slipped and Hendo simply landed on top of him. It wasn't particularly obvious through his thick Brazilian accent, but Machida said so himself in the post fight interview.

Hendo had him down for a lot longer, but actually did far less damage than in the 3 seconds that Machida had Hendo down for. Numerically, he got away multiple pitter patter shots to Machida's body initially, but did nothing after that.

If you look at the stats, Hendo's body strikes count is padded by those shots.

Having re-watched the fight a couple of times now, the closest round to me was the first, until Machida got the trip and landed those two bigger strikes.

The second was the easiest to call. Machida was well ahead, until Hendo closed it slightly with a late flurry, but it was nowhere near enough.

Supporting - Machida, Edgar, Mitrione, Pickett, Cruickshank, Wiman, Lauzon, Falcao, Belcher, Korean Zombie, Palhares, Hendricks

Retirees - Lytle, BJ Penn, Hackney,
GlasgowKiss is offline   Reply With Quote