Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Johny Hendricks Won’t Be Denied: ‘Who is Georges St-Pierre to be My Judge?’

2K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  UFC_OWNS 
#1 ·
Johny Hendricks Won’t Be Denied: ‘Who is Georges St-Pierre to be My Judge?’
Posted on March 4, 2013 by Ken Pishna

Johny Hendricks has only ever lost one fight in his professional career, a decision loss to Rick Story nearly two and a half years ago.

Since that fight, Hendricks has been the epitome of a one-man wrecking machine. He’s won five consecutive fights with four of the five being Top 10 fighters: Mike Pierce, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, and Martin Kampmann.

If those aren’t No. 1 contender credentials, what are?

How about adding perennial UFC welterweight title contender Carlos Condit to the hit list? Would that put any doubts to rest?

It certainly should, but most people already do consider Hendricks the No. 1 contender to Georges St-Pierre’s welterweight strap. It happens to be that the one man contesting Hendricks’ worthiness is GSP himself; one of the few men that also has some power to derail his title shot.

“It isn’t the world; it is GSP. It is, in this situation, because of GSP,” declared Hendricks in a recent interview with official MMAWeekly.com content partner Knockout Radio.

So what does he aim to do about it? He aims to change St-Pierre’s mind, and short of that, he aims to position himself such that UFC officials can’t deny him his shot unless St-Pierre finally agrees to take a superfight with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Hendricks next faces Carlos Condit – who is one fight removed from losing his challenge of St-Pierre – at UFC 158 on March 16 in Montreal. That is the same fight card that St-Pierre headlines against Nick Diaz, a fight that the champ specifically requested instead of facing Hendricks.

Hendricks had initially agreed to fight Jake Ellenberger on the card with Condit facing Rory MacDonald. When MacDonald fell out due to injury, Hendricks seized the opportunity for what he sees as a much more dangerous fight, and one that would pay a much bigger reward if he is successful.

“My coaches found out that Rory MacDonald got hurt and they jumped all over it,” Hendricks recounted. “It’s a big fight; it’s a good fight. He’s coming right off a title shot, a title run, all that kind of stuff.

“Carlos Condit is the tougher fight and what I’m trying to do is… if I do fight Condit and I win then there’s nobody else in the division that get’s the title shot.”

St-Pierre has pointed to Hendricks’ split decision victory over Josh Koscheck as one of the prime reasons he wanted to instead fight Diaz. St-Pierre said that he believes Koscheck was the real winner of that fight, and thus, Hendricks doesn’t yet deserve a shot.

Hendricks doesn’t necessarily buy that. Perhaps his patented left-hand knockouts of Fitch and Kampmann had something to do with GSP not wanting the fight.

Either way, Hendricks doesn’t take kindly to St-Pierre denying him.

“He said the only reason why I’m not the No. 1 contender in his eyes is because he thought I lost to Josh Koscheck. And so that’s his claim, right? That’s it,” said Hendricks.

“Who is he to be my judge? Who is he to keep me from something that I’ve earned. So that being said, that doesn’t make any sense. I think that it might be that he’s worried about my power and my wrestling abilities.”

Regardless of why Georges St-Pierre has denied Johny Hendricks, Hendricks isn’t about to site idly by and let his future slip away. He intends to take the toughest fights there are – in this case, Carlos Condit – and keep winning until St-Pierre has no choice but to step up to the plate and give him a shot at the belt.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/johny-hendricks-wont-be-denied-who-is-georges-st-pierre-to-be-my-judge

#8 ·
People on here are funny who are tired of his complaining. Break it down like this: if you clearly deserved something that had the worth of maybe a million dollars (more? who knows?) and it was taken away from you because someone on your level wanted it given to someone else, wouldn't you be pissed?

#9 ·
Not sure why people are attacking the guy. Hell, everyone cried foul when Chael was gifted a title shot. Diaz does not deserve this shot over Hendricks. I think Hendricks would stomp Diaz and should be the number 1 contender. He has every right to be pissed. But I will happily watch Diaz v GSP. And if Diaz wins, would Hendricks get first crack? Nope. He'd have to fight GSP first. GUARANTEED.

#10 ·
Yes, he has every right to be pissed. But he's voiced his displeasure, and the people have already listened to and sided with him. I agree with Hendricks. He caught a raw deal. But he goes on and on about his hard luck when he should be focusing on Carlos. Stop crying, go out and KO Carlos, and you'll be facing GSP within a few months. Pissing and moaning isn't going to change anything. Beating Condit will.

#12 ·
Yes, he has every right to be pissed. But he's voiced his displeasure, and the people have already listened to and sided with him. I agree with Hendricks. He caught a raw deal. But he goes on and on about his hard luck when he should be focusing on Carlos. Stop crying, go out and KO Carlos, and you'll be facing GSP within a few months. Pissing and moaning isn't going to change anything. Beating Condit will.
Nothing that has happened recently would suggest this is true. What has proven to be the most effective is running your mouth. That is what is currently earning title shots. Obviously knocking out top ranked fighters isn't enough or he would be fighting GSP in a couple weeks.

#18 ·
lol, Christ... we have maybe a handful of fights that have perhaps been made more so for fan interest, and suddenly it's undone an entire history of fighters working their way up the ranks and earning title shots. Quit being such a drama queen. Cage performances have mattered in the past and they'll continue to matter into the future. People like you are fear mongers. You take what is in reality an isolated occurrence and blow it completely out of proportion.

Yes, Sonnen is getting a title shot. And yes, Diaz is getting a title shot. But this doesn't mean that 'random title bouts' is the norm. Things will get back to normal after Sonnen and Diaz have had their day. People just need to be patient and quit trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill.

#19 ·
lol, Christ... we have a handful of fights that have perhaps been made more so for fan interest, and suddenly it's undone an entire history of fighters working their way up the ranks and earning title shots. Quit being such a drama queen. Cage performances have mattered in the past and they'll continue to matter into the future. People like you are fear mongers. You take what is in reality an isolated occurrence and blow it completely out of proportion.

Yes, Sonnen is getting a title shot. And yes, Diaz is getting a title shot. But this doesn't mean that 'random title bouts' is the norm. Things will get back to normal after Sonnen and Diaz have had their day. People just need to be patient and enjoy what will generally be some entertaining fights.
So wait where did Frankie earn his FW title shot? How is Pettis earn his? Didn't Dana tell Hendo he would get a title shot before Bisping fight? Didn't he say who ever impressed the most on the FOX card would get a LHW shot? Didn't he say winner of Kamp-Hendricks would get a title shot? Hasn't he done this more times then I can remember?

#21 ·
Running the mouth might work when you're actually good at it, hendricks is much better at knocking people out.

running his mouth ain't gonna help him sell PPV in that case because his personallity is just too nice and bland.

he's like the opposite of someone like Jones who's a spoiled kid and acts nice, Hendricks is actually a nice guy (or so it seems, at least) acting like a cry baby, it's just annoying.

he's talking bout GSP just if Condit was a pushover, but Condit ain't no pushover. I have yet to see hendricks face adversity and come back from it decisively.

Condit did it, Diaz did it, all those who faced GSP did it (with a few exceptions here and there, more contextual than anything else)

alright he has KO power, I'm not sure it's enough for beating GSP. GSP/Hendricks matchup is about as interesting on paper as a grey smiley face.

#22 ·
Hendricks is like Weidman 2.0 except Weidman is homeless and about to tear into Anderson's sorry ass where Hendricks is gonna get his beard knocked of by the Natural Born Killer(or runner).

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#26 ·
ya'll are haters my man jesus hendricks gonna whoop that condit ass and then get a crack at nick diaz shiny new belt after smacking gsp

#27 ·
ALERT SHOCK ALERT !!!!!!!

Fighter who deserves title match - but gets passed up in favour of undeserving fighter who shit talks - starts to shit talk himself.

I may find Hendricks a bit boring with his one track mind right now, but **** it, I'm not going to hate on the guy, he's only doing what he thinks he has to. I'm also not going to hate on him because he's not very good at it. It's clumsy, dull and insipid shit talking, but its still shit talking and its bound to hit a nerve with GSP soon enough. Drop enough crudely constructed bombs and one will hit the target eventually. If he beats Condit and gets the next shot, making GSP angry along the way at some point, then more power to him.

#29 ·
Obviously Hendricks has a case, but at this point, its doing him nothing to keep complaining. No one seems to like a complainer...even if they're right.

It's also a shitty attitude to have to think, as a fighter, that after x fights you deserve x, you may well indeed deserve x, but a real fighter, just shuts and knows he'll get what's owed him eventually.

#30 ·
...I'm all up for Johny getting that shot but he needs to chill. Let's see how he fairs against Carlos. Condit is no rollover and Hendricks had better not look past him. We all know what Condit is capable of, so if Johny puts Condit to sleep, well he can run his trap about GSP all he wants then...

#31 ·
He's been crying since the Fitch fight. He was doing interviews at that time saying that he wanted to wait for GSP. He's been peddling his hype train too hard and I'm sick of hearing about it.

Then he lost to Kos... but unfortunately the judges scored it wrong. So does he deserve it now... only if he beats Condit. Which he won't if he doesn't stop thinking about GSP.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using VerticalSports.Com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.