Votes: 0 0.0%

***OFFICIAL*** Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz Thread

45K views 579 replies 109 participants last post by  Sportsman 2.0 
#1 ·
Welterweight bout: 170 pounds
Five round fight for the UFC Welterweight Championship

See less See more
#55 ·
Looking forward to this one. I really hope Diaz is able to make this into a good competitive fight but I have my doubts. I think the most logical outcome is a St Pierre 1 sided win by decision but I'm hoping for something else to come of this fight. I feel there is a good chance St Pierre will be too strong for Diaz and will be able to control Diaz on the ground even though Diaz is very skilled in BJJ. On the feet I expect St Pierre to do what he normally does and land a few flashy effective strikes a setting up his take downs while avoiding the majority of Diaz's strikes. But if Diaz is able to give GSP problems on the ground this fight could be very interesting. I would love to see it turn into a great MMA match up with lots of time spent both standing up and on the ground. I really hope Diaz can make a fight of it with GSP and avoid being controlled for the majority of the fight like most of GSP's opponents. But also it would be really cool to see GSP come out and pull off a dominating performances which ends with a spectacular finish. I've been saying for GSP's last couple fights that he is due for a performance like that but he has not produced it in those fights it would be something if he produces that great finish in this fight. GSP has all the tools to stop most of his opponents it just whether he'll take the risk and go for the kill. Overall I'm very stoaked for this fight and the rest of the card.

#56 ·
I'm going to be really controversial and say that should this fight go the distance, Diaz may very well take it. You're all assuming that in a long distance fight, GSP will probably be controlling everything and making Diaz lie down most of the time... Diaz' tenacity, conditioning and skill set makes me question this.

On the feet Diaz will be marching forward throwing a high amount of strikes as usual. Either man can land a heavy counter, but Diaz is a much busier and more aggressive striker.

On the ground when GSP is on top, Nick will be constantly looking for submissions and a chance to sweep his way back up. IF GSP can consistently nullify these attempts, he will HAVE to do more offensively than he normally does or Diaz will make him look lazy, possible stand up depending on the ref.

If Diaz winds up on top, that's a situation we can't really visualize. We rarely see GSP in this position, Diaz does have a fantastic submission game, Nick will undoubtedly be scoring points from here at the very least.

Diaz outscoring GSP is very much a possibility to me.

#59 ·
So many asinine comments in one thread.

'GSP is scared.'

'GSP doesn't have the ability to submit fighters.'

'There is ZERO chance GSP finishes Diaz.'

I'm embarrassed to post here with idiotic comments like these. GSP isn't a scared fighter. There's no such thing. It takes fortitude to step inside a cage in front of millions and put your well being on the line. Scared men wouldn't be a part of this sport. GSP is a tactician who fights to preserve his health and longevity. That doesn't make him scared, and if you can't see the difference then there's really no point in conversing with you.

Moving on, of course GSP has the ability to submit someone like Diaz, or any fighter. To assume that he doesn't purely because it's been a while is just foolish. The question is not whether GSP has the ability to submit people, it's whether he'll take that risk. Again, one is completely different from the other. GSP took a lot more risks than he had to against Carlos, so the truth is that none of us knows what GSP will show up. He could come and play it safe. Or he could come to put on a show. OU would have us believe that GSP is a scared fighter who fights safe, and that Carlos Condit is a scared fighter who back-peddles the entire fight - and yet somehow these two managed to put on a FOTY nominee.

And finally, this whole 'zero chance' concept is bunk. Plenty has happened in MMA to validate the notion that anything can happen, and a dominant world champion leagues above his competition finishing an opponent is hardly a long shot. Yes, Diaz is tough to finish. And yes, this probably will be a 5 round UD. But you people really need to learn to leave the word 'impossible' at the door, because it has no place here.

I have no intention of returning to this thread until fight day or responding to any 'counterpoints'. I'm right. You're wrong. And I'd much rather enjoy what will likely be a great fight than have it ruined by keyboard warriors who fancy themselves big men over the internet. Instead of blaming GSP for being 'scared' and 'safe', try pointing a finger or two at the men whom have failed miserably to stop him.

#70 ·
This!!

Condit pretty much showed that Diaz being some unstoppable machine in the feet was a myth and GSP works with the finest jujitsu guys out there.

This will look like Bendo/Nate.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
And This!!

GSP is going to ragdoll Diaz badly. People don't seem to realize what a motivated GSP will do to someone. He's heads and tales better than everyone in the division. He's the most complete fighter in MMA (IMO), and will show it next weekend.

I'd love to see GSP dismantle Nick over 5 rounds and make him want to quit... :laugh:

#65 ·
Or tapping the leg is in any form scored....let alone scored anywhere like a Shogun or Aldo leg kick.

But I am sick of the Condit/Diaz scoring talk. 1 set of fans who hate Diaz and like point fighting will back COndit. The other set who miss the old scoring systems and don't condone Greg Jackson point fighting will back Diaz. It won't change. Some fans like fights. Some fans like the sport and how to exploit its scoring.

#72 ·
For the record, if anyone wants to bet anything on whether or not GSP will finish Diaz by anything other than cuts I am here. I'll give you 4 to 1 odds he doesn't.

Anyone? GSP has no shot of finishing Diaz by sub or TKO/KO. None at all. Diaz is the hardest guy at WW to finish. And GSP is not a finisher. Even when he finishes it is by the other fighter giving up. He had Dan focking Hardy in a full on armbar and couldn't finish. Diaz would have finished Hardy that night blindfolded.

Doesn't mean he isn't a great fighter. Means exactly that...he doesn't finish fights. And has no chance of a real finish vs. Diaz. None.

#86 ·
My personal antagonism towards Diaz aside, I don't see how he wins this fight. St. Pierre will be too big, too fast, and better in every area. Diaz has unorthodox striking that may compare offensively to St. Pierre's, but St. Pierre's defensive game is much better than Nick's.
I can see St. Pierre kicking the hell out of Diaz's legs while the fight remains upright, and then take Diaz down when he brings the pressure. There's no way Diaz is submitting St. Pierre, his jiu jitsu is solid, yes, but St. Pierre may have som of the best submission defense in the UFC, if not the best, period.

St. Pierre via UD (50-44, 50-44, 50-43)

#95 ·
I think Nick`s only way to win the fight is by a submission .. I can`t see him having the punchers chance like Matt Serra did .. because I don`t think Nick possess that kind of power to hurt or put GSP in any kind of trouble .. If I was GSP`s corner man I wud just say keep it stand and jab like he did vs koscheck and when there is like 10 second remaining in a round end it with a take down to score points lol

#97 ·
Stand & jab probably isn't in the gameplan since Diaz is a southpaw, the jab doesn't work nearly as well in the open stance since the range & angles are different. Jabbing is just asking for Diaz to slap down or trap the lead hand and open up with body shots.

The smart thing to do would be to kick the crap out of Diaz's lead leg and mix it up with some quick right straight to left hook combos, then circle out to the left after the hook and throw a right kick to whatever's open for a strike. You can pick Diaz apart all night long that way, especially if you have GSP's speed, footwork, and cage awareness. Add some Jon Jones style push kicks to the knee and Diaz will have a really bad day.

#98 ·
My post was meaning like a jumping in jab that he uses. He will stand out of range but dart in and jab. Diaz has never been much of a counter puncher, he is better going forward and cutting you off. If GSP stands he will have to jab, he isn't going to sit in the pocket for sure. He will jab and use kicks and then get the TD when he wants and throw short elbows. That is what he does.

#99 ·
"Getting a free water cup and filling it up with Sprite #GSPsDarkPlace" -Joseph Benavidez

"Having a library book 1 day overdue #GSPsDarkPlace" -Danny Downes

"Masturbating in the bathroom during Les Miserables #GSPsDarkPlace" -Joseph Benavidez

"Hanging up on a telemarketer before they finish their sales pitch #GSPsDarkPlace" -Danny Downes

"That one time he used the salad fork for his entree. #GSPsDarkPlace" -Danny Downes

"loosening the cap of Nick Diaz's salt shaker #GSPsDarkPlace" -Joseph Benavidez
LOL good shit

#103 ·
Diaz throws a right hook, George ducks, Nick hits the ref who is then knocked out for ten minutes. Dana runs out from the back with a steel chair, who then hits GSP with it. Just in time for the ref to clear his head and see Nick locking in a RNC on the dazed GSP. All the while Rogan screams "NOT THIS WAY DAMN IT, NOT THIS WAY!"

#Montrealscrewjob2.0

#104 ·
can GSP outstrike Diaz? does he have the boxing to make Diaz step back? does he have the footwork to land and circle like condit? obviously if GSP takes him down we are gonna see Diaz get beat up via the best top control in the sport...

anyone think GSP will choose to stand, and if he does will he be able to deal with Diaz style?

#112 ·
I can feel the hype for this fight swelling inside of me. Can't...control...it.

I think GSP will stand with Diaz at first and test his boxing, which I think will match up quite well. I think it's only a matter of time until GSP takes a few shots and goes for the takedown, though. Probably withing the first 3 minutes of round 1.

#106 ·
after listening to the pre fight press conference with GSP and Nick Diaz going at it .. all I gotta say is 209 all the way baby lol and I am Canadian .. this fking peanut headed french man NEVER tweets and has people doing it for him ?! wow u think he could give back to the fans just a little and him coming up with the most BS excuse on why Nick Diaz is the number 1 contender in his eyes because he thought hendricks lost to koscheck ?! this ***got goes on about how Nick Diaz is disrespectful but u are the most disrespectful pieace of shit there is by greasing in the BJ Penn fight lol

#110 ·
Although GSP is right. Diaz isn't the most educated, he probably skipped out on school quite a lot and paid no attention.

But what did Diaz say in that call that was more disrespectful than "you aren't very educated" "listen you uneducated fool" "I speak better English than you". What did Diaz say in that call that was anymore disrespectful than that? Say MotherFer a few times? Say that Georges has everything done for him these days....when in fact GSP said the same about himself? What did Diaz say that was so disrespectful other than sounding like a crazy guy?

#111 ·
GSP "I speak better english than you" That there was the highlight of the call. Diaz sounds just like he always sounds, nothing is his fault and he doesn't step up and be a man. The GSP is pampered shit sounds just like when Diaz gets beat, its never because he wasn't prepared or able to deal with what his opponent brought, his opponent has never had a great gameplan its always been some whiny shit about his opponent not really fighting, when he misses Press Confrences he didn't know about them, despite every other fighter always making them. Take some responsibility for something Nick for F*** sake.

#113 ·
GSP is good at stifling the guy when he about to get some momentum. The notion that GSP wont stand more than 5 secs with Nick is questionable. GSP will stand with Nick for a good amount of time. Then after a couple of feeling out and exchanges, GSP is going to take him down before Nick starts to get loose on the feet. GSP is then going to work his GnP for a while, and again, before Nick gets comfortable off his back, is going to stand him up. Repeat. GSP wins fights like that, stifling the opponents game and frustrating him and also doing damage of his own. GSP is good at when to time stuff when he feels his hold on the fight is getting a little loose. If GSP can fight like GSP, then he will win easy. If he gets tunnel vision by going to a dark place, then he is going to play Nicks game and thats where it gets dangerous for GSP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.