Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Dana White says Mark Hunt turned down UFC 160 fight with Junior dos Santos

4K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  Sportsman 2.0 
#1 ·
Mark Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) had an opportunity to replace injured Alistair Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and fight Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) but turned it down, according to UFC President Dana White.

Overeem bowed out of the UFC 160 bout on Wednesday due to a thigh injury, and as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today, White later said his fight with former heavyweight champ dos Santos will be rebooked for the summer.

But Hunt? White said he wasn't interested.

"Hey dummy Mark Hunt turned down the fight with JDS as of last night so STFU when u don't know what ur talkin about," White tweeted in response to one of his followers.

He then suggested a big fight could be in order for the New Zealand kickboxer, who recently demolished Stefan Struve in this past week's UFC on FUEL TV 8 co-headliner in Japan. It marked Hunt's fourth straight win and continued a recent career resurgence.

"With his win last week he broke into the top 10," White tweeted. "He will get a top 10 fight but as of last nite he turned down JDS."

On Wednesday Hunt told MMAFighting.com he was open to the May 25 fight with Dos Santos if offered. However, he declined comment today.

With Overeem's injury expected to sideline him weeks instead of months, his fight with Dos Santos likely will be rerouted to one of the UFC's big summer pay-per-view cards.
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/03/dana-white-says-mark-hunt-turned-down-ufc-160-fight-with-junior-dos-santos

Quite disappointed

#4 ·
http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/120858-...-matchup-junior-dos-santos-4.html#post1880562

You should try actually paying attention to responses to your posts rather than pretend they don't exist so that you can continue to run around screaming, 'Mark Hunt sucks, Mark Hunt sucks, lololol!' :sarcastic09:

Plenty of people obviously care, otherwise there wouldn't be such a demand for Hunt vs. JDS. As I said in my initial post, the man has beaten Rothwell, Kongo, and now Struve. A keyboard warrior voicing his opinion that Mark Hunt 'sucks' doesn't negate actual fact - that being that Mark Hunt is on a solid winning streak that merits a step up in competition.

You don't get it. You're not a fan. That's fine. But you're in the minority.

#5 ·
Hunt probably just wants to clean out the division, one guy at a time on his way back to belt. Junior is a huge step up, and there's a few in between that have yet to feel his power, and finally hear his top notch victorious post fight interviews. Your days are numbered, Cain.

#8 ·
Dana White ‏@danawhite
Mark Hunt and I just got off the phone and had a GREAT conversation!!

mark never turns down fights dana was given false info and this and marks tweets confirm that

Reactions: CarlosCondit
#14 ·
#16 ·
Dana is such a lying tool. Somebody fire this egotistical, pathological liar before he ruins this sport.

And before I get another "Dana built this sport" ... no he didn't. The Feritta's billions and the inherent popularity of combat instinct in humanity built it, just like Boxing built itself. Dana just rode along with the money and has done everything stupid possible to ruin it lately, but the sport and the first mover's advantage for the UFC is just very resilient.

#17 ·
People were actually saying hunt was scared.... the level of intelligence of the world is down and level of douchebag is way up. I didn't believe dana about this and here we find out he is full of it, I thought nick did all his countdown and primetime things for next week when dana said he didn't and now dana is just saying nate needs to do them which has nothing to do with nick.

And just today at the press conference he said what a surprise nick isn't here and nick then said "are you shitting me" and we didn't hear another word from dana.

Reactions: Ape City
#22 ·
So Hunt pushes for the fight when he hears Reem is injured.
Dana then says Hunt turned down the fight.
Hunt comes out again and denies turning the fight down.

Only one of these two has a history of compulsive lying whenever it suits his or the UFC's best interests.

#24 ·
In the past I have backed most of Dana's actions but I find myself starting to think he may be the fraud some people say he is more and more. I think all the money, power and attention has given him a sort of GOD complex or something. He has kind of out grown his usefulness as a commissioner, The UFC would be much better served to have Dana as a promoter and put someone a little more trustworthy in as the commissioner of the sport. IMO

#25 ·
In the past I have backed most of Dana's actions but I find myself starting to think he may be the fraud some people say he is more and more. I think all the money, power and attention has given him a sort of GOD complex or something. He has kind of out grown his usefulness as a commissioner, The UFC would be much better served to have Dana as a promoter and put someone a little more trustworthy in as the commissioner of the sport. IMO
Totally agree with your point but trustworthy could be replaced by unknown right? Because when the things you listed are involved, who can we really trust? Normally passengers don't get to know in advance how bad are the storms along the route until they hit turbulence. We are the passengers here. Anyway Dana will stay until his image can be tolerated by the system as a whole. When the limit is crossed, he'll be replaced, but with no guarantee his sucessor will be what we expect. I hope I am wrong.

#30 ·
He also gassed against Nelson, albeit not as badly as he did against Cain. Face it - big men gas. Hunt and Struve were working at a pretty good pace, and so I'm not surprised they lost some steam. Even Rothwell and Hunt were going at it pretty good. Let's not act like HWs don't slow down considerably after the first round. The exceptions are rare.

There's no need to fear Mark Hunt's rise to the top, my friend. He's the real people's champion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.