Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Dos Santos' Trainer: Overeem Doesn't Want To Fight Dos Santos

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Guy Incognito 
#1 ·
UFC Quick Quote: Alistair Overeem has 'weird' problems, doesn't want to fight Junior dos Santos
By Thomas Myers on Mar 9 2013, 10:29a

Is Alistair Overeem deliberately sabotaging his planned fights with Junior dos Santos or is "Demolition Man" simply the victim of odd consequences?

"
We're not here to doubt, but it's really strange. Cigano's career does not depend on Overeem, but it's the second time that the fight has been canceled. What cannot happen is for Cigano to be penalized for it.... Injured or not, Overeem won't cause any setbacks for Cigano, who already had to start a camp and doesn’t want to go any longer without fighting. It seems that Overeem doesn't want this fight.... I do not know [about his low testosterone levels], but there's something weird there. It is reported that there was an injury, which we have to believe. Overeem is a great athlete, but he has his problems. What will happen is that everyone who has a scheduled fight against Overeem will be [unsure if it will take place]. This is the second time that Cigano has prepared for this fight, and this requires dedication and money. This postponement will not obstruct Cigano's plans to seek the title shot soon after this fight. What else can happen in July, August? Will there be another story, another problem with the lab, or an injury?... Overeem teases Cigano, and every time we get close to the fight, we do not know what happens. It's a difficult situation."
-- Luiz Dorea, mixed martial arts (MMA) coach for Junior dos Santos, tells Sherdog.com that something just doesn't square right with Alistair Overeem, who for the second time was forced to postpone their highly-anticipated Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight showdown. The first time around, Overeem got popped out-of-competition for having a sky-high -- and illegal -- testosterone level prior to UFC 146 in May 2012. Frank Mir served as his replacement, losing via second round technical knockout, while Overeem was forced to serve a nine-month suspension. "The Reem" returned at UFC 156 against Antonio Silva with a title shot on the line, but "Bigfoot" dashed his championship aspirations with a ming-blowing third-round thumping. The good news for Overeem was that dos Santos also lost just one month prior to Cain Velasquez, setting the stage for the two power punchers to mix it up once and for all in the UFC 160 co-main event on May 23, 2013. However, earlier this week, Overeem revealed that he had suffered a "slight quad tear" and would once again have to cancel his date with "Cigano." Dos Santos' camp responded quickly, saying that Overeem is the fight it wants, but playing the waiting game for an extended period was not going to happen. UFC President Dana White quickly jumped in, pouring cold water on a possible dos Santos vs. Mark Hunt replacement bout and clarifying that the two big men will indeed fight "later this summer." Think it's going to happen or will another "weird" Overeem problem emerge as fight night nears and it gets tabled again for what would most likely be the third and final time?
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/3/9/4081606/alistair-overeem-weird-problems-junior-dos-santos-fight-ufc

#3 ·
Overeem has been overrated by many. He is now scared to fight a standing contest after claiming to be the best striker in MMA after winning K-1 and all his fans thought so too.

Overeem sucks. He hardly beat Werdum. His best win at HW is either Brett the can Rogers or Brock Lesnar with a hole in his stomach. Overeem sucks.

#6 ·
Not sure if he started fighting stupid. He never gave Bigfoot any respect in that fight, and had his hands down the whole fight. Overeem also gasses, Bigfoot an even bigger man had much more left come round 3.

2 wrestlers beat Bigfoot to a bloody pulp. DC at 5'10 and still a green striker clocked Bigfoot standing and sent him down. You would think the K-1 champs with all of this supposed power could do the same in 3 rounds.

#7 ·
I agree with the first part, but not so much with the second. DC although somewhat green in his standup (although he looked fine for a HW) clocked Bigfoot with some hard hits that would have knocked anyone out.

I can see what you are saying as far as the much bigger Overeem with a rep behind him should have hurt him more, but I don't think he landed as solid a shot. Fedor caught bigfoot with some bombs himself and bigfoot didn't flinch. I just think DC hits really hard.

First part was on point though.

#9 ·
Yeah I agree. I still think he is one of the better overall strikers in the HW division but nothing to go googoo gaagaa over either. I think Bigfoot described him best with the analogy of the lion and kitten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.