Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Georges St. Pierre wants to fight Diaz, Hendricks, Anderson Silva then retire

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  oldfan 
#1 ·
Source.

According to Paltry, St. Pierre would like to defeat Nick Diaz tomorrow night, and hurt him in the process, before moving on to face Johny Hendricks, who he believes has been talking too much since his win over Kampmann, and then finish up by testing himself against Anderson Silva.
This sorta sucks. We have about 3 fights left with GSP if he actually sticks to his word. He is in his prime and definitely has another 5 years (imo) left. I hope he doesn't retire early.

#3 ·
Anderson's been talking retirement for 5 years now, so I take these comments with a grain of salt. GSP's tired, upset, annoyed, and probably cutting weight... he probably loves the idea of retirement at this stage. Ask him how he feels tomorrow night after he stomps Diaz and the fans are cheering for him, and he'll likely say he wants to fight another ten years.

#4 ·
I believe him.

GSP started to show his frustrations with the media work and obligations in the run up to the Koschek fight and showed it again for the Shields fight. Whilst i wouldn't doubt GSP's integrity i do wonder if year and a half off was truly needed to recover from the injury or if it was recovery plus extra down time.

Three fights left? i believe him.

#9 ·
Source.

This sorta sucks. We have about 3 fights left with GSP if he actually sticks to his word. He is in his prime and definitely has another 5 years (imo) left. I hope he doesn't retire early.
I feel like GSP is really getting tired of "the game... and I think all of these feelings got made worse by what he's going thru with Nick Diaz. Who can blame GSP tho? I'm sure if the UFC was just a straight mma competition he would love it... but to be at the receiving end of all this WWe style drama must get really tiring.

#11 ·
Meh, doesn't seem that bad. He has hardly fought much in the last couple years. His last fight was vs. Condit....no drama.

I still don't think he wants the ANderson fight....even if Dana said he was 100% aboard before the injury...nothing I saw made it look like he was. I doubt he wants Anderson. I'm not sure if he said it, or someone else....but Weidman is basically a bigger version of himself....if Weidman can't beat Anderson, I highly doubt GSP can.

I actually think if you were to make any champ vs champ match....GSP/Anderson is the biggest blowout of any of them. I really don't think GSP has much of any chance in that fight, not being bias or anything. No other skills he has other than wrestling and cardio would even matter. If Chael and Weidman cannot do it with their wrestling...I don't see how GSP could do it with his.

Would be very respectable if he went for it anyway in a retirement fight win or lose.

#13 ·
He'll be at least 33 by then. That's the perfect age for his first retirement. Kick back, enjoy the good life, wait for Anderson to get old, make some nike commercials, while the UFC finds a champ for him to come back and fight.

Guys like GSP always retire more than once.

#17 ·
Gsp is one of the most logical champions ever in fight sports. He will always use his mind over his heart and will. He is not a guy to take risks to ruin his legacy.

My personal thought but perhaps he found that he cant improve more in skill and athleticism and now he is sustaining his current level because of reaching potential and injuries. Maybe this is the reason behind his three fight statement.

#20 ·
This looks good on paper, but I doubt it happens. Even if GSP were to win all those fights, the UFC would throw so much money his way, he couldn't refuse. The statement comes across to me more as setting up a negotiating tactic, as opposed to pre-announcing his retirement. GSP is way too dominant to walk away so soon.

#21 ·
that'd be the perfect retirement plan.

GSP's here since a while ago, prime or not, he's bound to decline anyday now and I doubt he can significantly get better.

With his boy Rory climbing the WW ladder, he has to think of getting out of the way or accept to fight Rory at some point in the fairly near future.

Diaz, Hendricks, then Silva win or lose, retire on top and move on with his life as one of the greatest of all time if not the greatest (should he beat silva convincingly, which I doubt he'll do but who knows...)

Enter the UFC HOF too along with BJ

#22 ·
Source.

Even though this was a paragraph long I'll give it an A rating. I can see the look on GSP's facial demeanor. He's tired. It showed in the Jake Shields fight, long lay off against Condit where he was "refreshed" but soon learned how much of a grind it was again after dealing with Nick's verbal diatribe for the last two years or so til the present.

AT LEAST they get to duke it out mano y mano Saturday night to put this to rest. It'll be a good fight.

We'll have to wait another calendar year for the match up we all want to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.