Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

GSP looked slightly off last night

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mmaswe82 
#1 ·
Admittedly, I'm a huge GSP fan. I usually don't mind his 5 rounds of dominating beat downs. If his opponent could stop it, he would. And they can't; they never do. I enjoy watching excellence.

That said, I think Georges looked slightly off last night. He wasn't as dynamic, explosive, lightning-quick and dominating as I'm used to seeing him.

Maybe it's because of Nick's awkward style and conditioning. Nick is world class and his style is unlike anyone else. Georges himself said he's impossible to prepare for.

However, GSP said he got tired in the 3rd which was "weird" to him. His shots seemed a split-second slower and more predictable than normal.

Was this a result of GSP having an off night? Was it Nick taking him off his game? Are all of his 5 round wars catching up to him a bit?

Like I said, I love GSP. The Hendricks fight concerns me some, but I'm juiced to see it!

Thoughts...

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it was a matter of Diaz throwing Georges off his game - in the post fight Georges said that he is impossible to prepare for. I also believe that Diaz getting into Georges' head had something to do with it.

No I don't think the 5 round wars are catching up to him. GSP has his training down to a science and his conditioning is never a factor. Aside from the Condit and Diaz fight, he has not taken too much damage in his title defenses. And at 31 years old, he is still quite young .

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3 ·
right after the fight GSP as interviewd by the french canadian anouncing crew .
He admit that the morning of the fight he woke up whit an headache and wasn't feeling 100% .
He was saying that maybe he gotten a virus or something told them he wasn't feel in top condition

I also though GSP look kind of slower after the half of the secong round ,but still diaz wasn't able to mount any real offense exept maybe the lest minute of the third

#4 ·
Ghost that makes sense if its true. I think he looked like maybe 90% of his normal self. A virus would do that to a person.

I have the flu, and while watching the fight last night, thought to myself how hard it would be to have to fight while sick.

Nick had the fight he wanted with a lot of stand up, and couldn't do anything with it.

#5 ·
the only thing I didn't get was why he wasn't hitting Diaz more when he had him dominated. He threw that one knee to Diaz's side and then nothing, when GSP was pissed at Serra he went out and attacked him like a wild dog, against Diaz GSP was very hesitant which is funny considering Diaz doesn't have one punch ko power. seems to me like his killer instinct is gone, it happens to a lot of fighters. Seems like he's just coasting now

#6 ·
First two rounds were classic GSP, however after that he got very sloppy. His TD's are normally flawless but a couple of them later in the fight were incredibly amateurish. Something was definitely off, whether he wasn't feeling well or if the mental games just wore on him and gave him an adrenaline dump, who knows, but the last three rounds theres no way he was operating in top form.

Even weakened GSP is still vastly superior to Diaz though

#7 ·
Honestly, I think GSP was just mentally drained. This was the first time I've ever heard him say, 'I got tired'. He's a professional who prides himself on maintaining his composure, but I suspect that Nick's trash talk, the media obligations, and everything leading up to this fight in general were taxing on him.

#9 ·
Actually I think he looked damn rusty and slow in the Condit fight, and like you guys pointed out he looked better here but still maybe just 90%. I'm affraid that the injury has taken away some of his explosiveness & that we might never see him as good as he used to be. Then again he still just beat Condit % Diaz in current shape so he's still good enough to be champ.
Those kind of injuries tend to mess with a fighter forever tho. Just look at shogun, and a couple of other fighters that never really rebounded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.