Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Silva vs. Jones coming soon?

3K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  dsmjrv 
#1 ·
#10 ·
I think Anderson has a better chance of beating Bones than basically anyone at LHW that could potentially earn a shot. Sonnen, Tex, Gustaf, Machida again. Cormier may be the exception there. I don't think GSP poses the biggest threat to Anderson at 185. If Weidman doesn't beat Anderson, I don't see how GSP would.

To change subject...what the hell are they doing at 205? Joe Silva has done a terrible job at this weight. First why match Machida and Hendo up? Why promise MAchida another title shot...when Gustaf deserves it way more if he goes out and wins vs Mousasi impressively? If he does he will have won 7 in a row...beating THiago Silva, Shogun, Mousasi, Te Huna...What are they going to let him sit? Or match him up vs. Tex and lose another contender. They have went about the 205 division all wrong. Sonnen and this goofy show is the main problem, what has it made a small boost in ratings? Big whoop.

#11 ·
I am split about this matchup.

Pro Silva:
- he toyed with Griffin and Bonnar at light heavyweight. He made those wins look so easy.
- Silva has the best standup in MMA history.

Against Silva:
- If Sonnen could hold Silva down for like an entire round in their 2nd fight (not mentioning 1st fight since Silva was injured) imagine what Jones could do having a size advantage.

My verdict is:
Silva wins by TKO.

#15 ·
...Speculation is the theme for now. Truth is Dana really wants this fight. He's brought it up more than once. WE ALL want this fight. It's like the Ali vs. Frazier of MMA. It's not a matter of if...but when. It will be the biggest PPV in UFC history, surpassing all records making UFC 148 look tiny in comparison. Straight up---Both Anderson & Jones have the ability to finish each other. After watching Anderson just drop his hands and eat shots from Bonner then land another highlight knee finish, he's ready to face Jones. Anderson hits like a truck at 205, with his speed, unmatched accuracy, head & foot movement and his unpredictable striking makes this the most intriguing fight ever. Jones has the nastiest stand-up in the LHW division. Then add in his freakish size, reach, wrestling and sick ground n' pound we have a match-up that will blow us away...

#28 ·
This is wrong his base is folkstyle that is what he earned most of his amateur accolades in. The opposite is true of Sonnen who had more success and competed longer in Greco. They just have different philosophies when it comes to takedowns in MMA. Bones believes in the unpredictability of a wide array of takedown techniques and Sonnen believes in mastering the variations of a single technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.