MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Diaz to GSP "I think I can't beat cha"

View Single Post

Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
OU
Ultra-weight

OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
Actually, he got there by beating everyone in the MW division not named Anderson Silva. You can blindly hate on the man all you like, but there's no denying that he earned both title shots at MW. As for LHW, well... you can thank Machida and Shogun for tucking tail for that.

As for this 'he's scripted' nonsense, it's not entirely true. Chael has delivered gold at fan Q&As and press conferences alike, and it's not as though he's somehow managed to read the minds of the fans and the journalists in advance. He's entirely able to come up with hilarious material on the spot. This 'he's rehearsed' baloney comes from those who simply don't like him. I think he draws a blank when directly challenged, but that doesn't mean he's scripted. That's something else entirely.

If Chael went in and lost every fight, I'd have less respect for him. But the fact is, he delivers. And he's quite evidently dedicated himself to bettering his overall game. Losing to Anderson Silva twice doesn't make him an overrated bum, and if it does, then Anderson Silva must not be all that great to begin with. Nor will losing to Jon Jones - a man who has demolished several spectacular fighters - hurt Chael's legacy. I'm sure there will be some who will claim it will, but those same people would probably go on to defend Machida.

Sonnen's given people reason to dislike him, that much I admit. I tend to take more away from TUF than I do a couple of obvious showmanship interviews prior to his fights with Silva. But to dismiss his noteworthy skills, traits, and attributes because he verbally spanked Anderson Silva will only fly with so many people. Again, dislike the man all you want for the things he's said. But have enough sense to realize that if Chael Sonnen had not won a single fight in the UFC, he wouldn't be fighting Jon Jones, silver tongue or not.
It's not blind hate at all. He also didn't beat "All MW not Anderson Silva". He barely scrapped by Bisping in a very controversial decision. He did have some nice MW wins, I'll give you that. Beating Okami, Marquardt(at that time), and Stann are some quality wins. But he also got rolled up by Maia and sub'd in the 1st round. Not to mention there are plenty of quality MW that would give Chael hell in a fight that he never fought. Chris Weidman is a much better fighter IMO then Chael. I think Vitor would handle Chael as well. I think Rockhold has a chance. I'm nearly certain that Jacare would submit him if they fought. I think Chael is probably the 4 or 5th best MW in the World.
But when it comes to LHW? I think he is much, much further down the list. He was far from dominate at MW.
Look back at his best wins and most of the guys have gone on to lose since then. His glaring loss came to a guy now at WW, his razor thin win that got him the title fight came against a guy that has never beat a top ranked fighter and just got beat his last fight. I don't understand why he gets so much credit, I really don't.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote