Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Alistair Overeem start training at Mike's Gym with Badr Hari, Gokhan Saki!

7K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  LikeABoss88 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Gokhan Saki is the man. The way he beat Ghita down was amazing.

Back on topic, stupid move for Overeem. The last thing he needs is to be playing around in a kickboxing gym all day. I'm not sure what'd fix his problems though. He's like the Brandon Vera of HW.

Except that when Vera was at HW he was wrecking face... so he's like the Brandon Vera at LHW of HW... yeah.

#9 ·
I don't know if it matters whether Overeem's hands are up or down.

He's used to blocking strikes with bigger boxing gloves. Werdum consistently punched around & through his guard even when his hands were up.

Every mma fighter from a dutch kickboxing background is terrible at blocking & evading strikes.

Martin Kampmann, Overeem, Stefan Struve. Whoever else I'm forgetting. Even when their hands are up, they're getting knocked out.

Overeem isn't the exception, he fits in perfectly with that group.

#15 ·
I don't know if it matters whether Overeem's hands are up or down.

He's used to blocking strikes with bigger boxing gloves. Werdum consistently punched around & through his guard even when his hands were up.
It does. Of course, hands up won't protect him 100%, but against Silva and most of the HWs it would help him a lot. Werdum punched through his guard, because Werdum used a pretty technical boxing approach with lots of jabs and straights (yet he still couldn't KO Overeem), but most other HWs use rather overhand rights and heavy swinging punches from the outside. Against those, Overeem's rather wide guard protects pretty good.

#11 ·
He was once considered the best striker in MMA. Then he was considered the best at HW. Then he was considered up there. Now he is running off training with elite kickboxers again all of a sudden.

Safe to say he and his fans thought he was a better striker than he really was, based mostly around the fact that he won K-1 by drawing a good hand and fighting beat up fighters. Oh, and puffy gloves to protect his face and love forward to bully his opponents.

#13 ·
...Yeah goodbye Blackzilians. I vowed not to change my cheesy avatar pic of Reem getting plowed by Chuck until he redeems himself with a clean test and most of all...One of the world's top strikers now has his back to the wall by not following basic rule #1..." Keep ya hands up dude..."

"We fight in the cage. He talk a lotta shit outside the cage and I say hey--I'm going to make you respect me brother"...Antonio Silva after dropping Reem like a trash bag.:laugh:

#21 ·
Oh, fighters get KOed even though they had their hands up, so it makes no difference at all and coaches all over the world apparently just waste their time trying their fighters to keep the hands up... well yeah...

Fighters get taken down even though they train TDD, so it also makes no difference. Better skip that training then.

And fighers get submitted even though they train (counter)grappling. Obviously it makes no difference.

Better fighters go back to mindless brawling. At least they could use that wasted training time to chill at the pool. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
This isn't boxing. You can't just "have your hands up." I hate hate hate when kickboxing instructors at MMA gyms constantly demand that.

This is MMA. Hands down makes it easier to not get taken down instantly, Overeem used it well against Lesnar. But, in typical Overeem fashion, he underestimated Bigfoot or overestimated himself and got knocked out as a result.

Reem doesn't need to train exclusively with kickboxers. It won't make his recovery and heart any better. He needs a sports psychologist and a real MMA gym.

#26 ·
There's fighting with your hands down. And then there's fighting with your hands down and leading with your chin, which Overeem did to an absurd degree. He won't do the same working with elite level strikers who will lay him out every time he tries to pull some dodgy, arrogant BS. Whereas the Blackzillians probably foster an egotistical atmosphere.

It's a good move for Overeem. People can act like he's some scrub, but he has multiple MMA wins and was on his way to beating Silva until arrogance cost him. Overeem cost himself that fight, and it's plain as day to anyone who doesn't have a hate-on for the man. I'm not even a big fan of Overeem. But a lack of skill didn't lose him the fight. His ego did.

#27 ·
Alistair Overeem Joins Mike’s Gym in Holland

Can't believe this isn't being discussed here:

http://www.tapnapsnap.com/alistair-overeem-joins-mikes-gym-in-holland/

Just confirmed UFC fighter Alistair Overeem joins the famous Mike’s gym in Holland to prepare his next fight. No lack of sparring partners, as there heavyweights like Gokhan Saki, Badr Hari, Melvin Manhoef and Ismael Londt around.

Badr and Alistair are going to KILL each other at the gym. I'm really excited to his Alistair after this camp and how he will look.

I guess the Blackzillians was a nice dream to be had. Too bad it didn't end up working out. I'm guessing the entire team will be dismantled by the end of the year.

#40 ·
You can't deny Overeem's stand up, clinch, ground skills. I just question his heart and training. I think he IS one of the best HW's in the world if his mind is right. I think he thought that he was going to go in there and bully Bigfoot around, or, that Bigfoot was going to play it safe and he would just land a good strike and TKo him. Bigfoot brought it to him though. Hopefully Overeem learned a valuable lesson. Never underestimate any real fighter in the UFC.

If he is training with Badr Hari, maybe Hari can show him a thing or two about dedication. That's pretty crazy though, arguably the two best strikers in the world training together. That's like Velasquez and Cormier wrestling around together. If I was a fighter and I had the money, I'd train with those guys in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.