Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Ref Josh Rosenthal pleads guilty to marijuana charges

5K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  TheGreg 
#1 ·
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...cops-plea-awaits-sentencing-in-marijuana-case

Veteran MMA referee Josh Rosenthal awaits sentencing after pleading guilty to conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana and possession with intent to distribute.

One year ago, federal agents raided an Oakland, Calif., warehouse owned by Rosenthal and an associate that contained 1,356 marijuana plants, according to a copy of the agreement, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) obtained from the U.S. District Attorney's office in Oakland.

The drug's street value was estimated at more than $6 million.

Rosenthal is due in U.S. District Court on May 17. The government is recommending 37 months in jail, fines and five years of probation, during which he would be subject to random searches, according to the agreement. Without a deal, he faced 10 years to life in prison, a $10 million fine and a minimum of five years' probation.

However, the court ultimately will decide Rosenthal's sentence.

Rosenthal, who agreed to a plea deal in January, did not respond to request for comment. His lawyer of record, Ted W. Cassman, was unavailable for comment.

A jiu-jitsu practitioner and martial artist, Rosenthal has officiated dozens of high-profile bouts in the UFC, including a heavyweight title fight at UFC 116 between then-champ Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. The Nevada State Athletic Commission chose Rosenthal after Lesnar and UFC officials objected to veteran ref Steve Mazzagatti getting the assignment.

After the fight, UFC President Dana White praised Rosenthal's restraint in the bout's first round, when Carwin unleashed a flurry of punches upon the downed Lesnar. The now-retired Lesnar went on to win the bout via second-round submission.

As of late, Rosenthal has been conspicuously absent from major MMA events. Earlier this month, he gave an interview to website BloodyElbow.com in which he said his absence was the result of a staph infection. He said he would be officiating an event in May and made no mention of legal trouble.

See less See more
#6 ·
Josh Rosenthal pleads guilty to owning 6million$ worth of Marijuana

Well-known MMA referee Josh Rosenthal has been a part of some of the UFC's most famous bouts, including Brock Lesnar's championship win over Shane Carwin and Dan Henderson's Fight of the Year win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Now, it turns out he was also part of an illegal drug operation.
In a story that could have been the plot of the show "Weeds," Rosenthal plead guilty to charges of conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana. He and an associate owned a warehouse that kept 1,356 marijuana plants with a street value of $6 million. According to MMA Junkie, he could spend more than three years in prison:
The government is recommending 37 months in jail, fines and five years of probation, during which he would be subject to random searches, according to the agreement. Without a deal, he faced 10 years to life in prison, a $10 million fine and a minimum of five years' probation.
The court will ultimately decide Rosenthal's fate. He is scheduled to appear on May 17.
Rosenthal was once a mainstay on the UFC refereeing rotation, but hasn't been in the cage recently as he healed from a staph infection. Though referees are assigned by state commissions, not the UFC, Rosenthal had earned the praise of UFC president Dana White for his role in the Lesnar-Carwin bout.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...s-guilty-charges-owning-6-222133049--mma.html

Ayy Karambaa

#12 ·
Josh Rosenthal sentenced to 36 months in jail - $6 Mil Marijuana Warehouse

Didn't see this posted but, I was kinda wtf'ed by it.

In my opinion he's one of the betters refs at the moment. Sad to see this :(:thumbsdown:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...s-guilty-charges-owning-6-222133049--mma.html

Could someone tell me how to embed the article within the thread? Never done it before. Sorry in advance for just posting link :/

#14 ·
He hasn't been sentenced yet, that's just the government recommendation. It very well could be less, but I'd still expect for him to see some time for that much pot. I do find it kind of funny that they charge him with 'conspiracy to manufacture.' I mean, there is some package and handling, but you grow marijuana.

Anyways, it's too bad this wasn't Nick Diaz, he could have claimed personal use.

#21 ·
pretty sure that 6million thing is bs too. a pound is about 8k and a plant can grow about an oz so 1356/16 is 84.75 times 8k is $678,000, granted that's basic dank some shit can get up to even $50 a gram. Not to even mention that they are probably selling that in huge quantities and won't be getting $20 for every g(if its just regular dank) because the sellers got to make a big profit for it to be worth it for them.

#29 ·
i am a fan of both mostly the cannabis though. sucks so many annoying straight edge people are always on these forums talking about how bad it is or talking out of there ass without ever trying it or doing any real research. Not all straight edge people are like that though luckily, if you're one of those people im not talking badly about you.

#33 ·
Kinda annoyed that I had this posted first yesterday and this mod deletes my thread and makes it his own.

Well done sir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.