MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - So what's the overall take on the 4 major changes?

View Single Post

Old 05-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
guycanada
Bantamweight

guycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Around View Post
So in the past two years or so (give or take), there's been four major changes:

1. Merging WEC with UFC/adding the classes below those.
2. UFC purchasing Strikeforce.
3. Deal with Fox.
4. Women's fighting in UFC.

What is your overall take on all these developments now that time has passed?

For me....

1. Merging WEC
Not a fan. I've enjoyed some fights with the lighter classes, but now there are so many divisions and I'm biased towards the heavy guys. Seems like the amount of champions doubled.

2. UFC purchasing Strikeforce.
Also not a fan. Bellator isn't serious competition, I think that's quickly been learned. Strikeforce was an extremely distant #2, but still a legitimate alternative.

3. Deal with Fox.
On the fence. I like the actual fights on Fox for exposure, but all the Fox/FX cards have made pay-per-view cards worse. Not many events anymore have that "big event feel". The last one I think was probably Silva/Sonnen 2.

4. Women's fighting in UFC.
I'm a fan. I was extremely anti-women's fighting in the UFC, but now I am a fan. Their fights have been good and are interesting enough that they absolutely belong. I'd still be in favor of not having a women's fight on every card just to have it, and make it so that it's more of a meaningful attraction.
1- WEC merger has proven its worth, Bendo, Aldo, Cerrone, on and on have proven they can beat "the best LW's" in the world, causing a few former title-holders to move weight classes (Edgar can't buy a win, judges don't like him)

2-Strikeforce merger again, new blood, great match-ups so far

3-Ufc on fox, awesome exposure..the 2012 PPV's suffered, but that was an injury problem, all cards this year except Sweden have been amazing!

4- Women bring new fans to the sport, its better for everyone, if they have 13 bouts on a card now instead of 11, why not let 1-2 bouts be female

Ufc Fight Night: Davis Vs Nogueira, Ufc 131, Ufc 143, Ufc 148, Ufc on Fox 5, Ufc 156, Ufc on Fox 8
-----

Chael Sonnen - "I was in public office, and I left public office the only way a person should..In Handcuffs"
guycanada is offline   Reply With Quote