MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Mike Tyson explains why GSP and UFC are succeeding where Boxing has failed

View Single Post

Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
dave-stjohn
Flyweight

dave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of lightdave-stjohn is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
Yes, but that's because there are less good MMAist around than there are good boxers, in particular internationally. A couple of years ago it wasn't that much of a big deal if a fighter lost 2 in a row, today it's much more dangerous for him to get cut. That's because the number of talent is growing. I guess MMA is heading in a similar direction as boxing.
I think the two biggest places that boxing is failing where as mma isn't, is in the number of belts and the lack of champions fighting top contenders. The sheer number of organizations and the number of weight classes makes for far too many champs and dilutes the talent pool. I can't remember the last time a champion boxer in one of the top org. fought a top contender (Pacman was the latest) even a top 5 guy would be a stretch. MMA has the UFC as the top dog and then there's Bellator and maybe MFC which are triple A at best. I couldn't even begin to name all the boxing org. but suffice it to say, there's a bunch. Could you imagine the crapfest that would happen if Dana tried to sell a fight between Anderson and another MW making his octagon debut at 5 and 4? With boxing that's business as usual and their fans are fine with that which is amazing to me.
dave-stjohn is offline   Reply With Quote