MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Anthony Pettis wants T.J. Grant's UFC 164 slot against champ Benson Henderson

View Single Post

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
dvonfunk
Flyweight

dvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of lightdvonfunk is a glorious beacon of light
Pettis' act is really wearing thin. He's got some major entitlement issues. By my count, he's passed up not one, but two cracks at the LW title, so he can wait in line for Bendo. Or Aldo.

Unfortunately, the lure of a Bendo rematch in Pettis' hometown may be too much for the UFC brass to pass up. It's 100% the more marketable headliner.

The conspiracy theorist in me can envision a scenario where the UFC convinces (pays?) Grant to nurse pre-fight "injury," and a medically cleared Pettis replaces him against Bendo. The UFC would then promise Grant a shot at the winner when he's "all healed up." The UFC can then play up the whole "Grant feels snubbed/overlooked because he's always been the rightful #1 contender" angle to sell the next fight. Especially if Pettis beats Bendo.

This scenario just makes better business sense. And the UFC is a business, first and foremost. Is it a little far-fetched? Perhaps... but not really. Although I still think Grant should get the title shot he was promised, I don't care what Pettis thinks.
dvonfunk is offline   Reply With Quote