MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Frankie Edgar predicts 'whole package' Chris Weidman will defeat Anderson Silva

View Single Post

Old 06-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
jonnyg4508
Ultra-weight

jonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Americans have to be some of the most patriotic, nationalistic people on earth. The 'USA, USA, USA!' chant didn't come about because American fans wanted a way to voice their support for other nations.

Every country cheers on its own. I'd say the Japanese are the least obvious about it.
I disagree. U.S. cheers for many Brazilians over Americans. The Chael/Silva line was close to a split in my estimation. They love Big Nog and Wandy. Love Aldo and love JDS. I bet JDS has more fans in America than Cain. U.S. likes fighters who go out and give it their all trying to put on a show for them. They may not be the most educated MMA fans, nor the best. But bias they aren't.

You will hear USA USA every so often. But maybe for a guy like Chuck, Hendo, or Randy. You would never see them do that for Jake Shields (haven't fact checked that).

Basically if you are a guy who is a diva or a guy who isn't "tough" you won't get nearly as much love from US no matter where you come from.

Take this forum for example. U.S. surely has the highest representation, but yourself and other Canadians are basically GSP fans of some sort. English posters at least have some love for Bisping if not out right love. Aussi's love their own as well here. And you can seemingly identify who is Asian as they love all who are Asian. But myself for example, I love Wandy and Anderson. Love Mark Hunt. Those are some of my favorite fighters. I routinely root for guys like Palhares and Gunnar Nelson.

American fans are the least bias in my opinion. Hands down. It could just be a numbers game, with so many American fighters and venues. But you rarely see the UFC needing to stack American fighters on American cards to sell. People here will get just excited for Big Nog as they are for Mir. Most likely more so.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote