Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

New Need Some Advice

683 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wukkadb 
#1 ·
Alright so heres whats up. I just started gojuryu about 6 months ago, and im looking to improve my speed and strength overall. I have a trainer at the gym thats been showing me some workouts, but there more bulk building then fighting routines. What are the name of some workouts fighters use to train. Im just planning on giving the list to my trainer and having him teach me them. Im also looking to improve my uppercutting and hooking if anyone has any tips.

#2 ·
In general do plymetric excersises and excercises with light weight resistance like small hand weights or bands. Do body weight excercises such as push ups, pull ups, dips, rings are great and medicine ball excercises. You dont want to build bulk muscle you want lean muscle, fast twitch muscle. I know next to nothing about boxing so yea, but your "trainer" should know more about training techniques if you want to improve your speed

#6 ·
ninjaoscarfish said:
that ross training site is pretty cool. how does everyone feel about mixing in some cardio with weightlifting for a fighter ?
well if you're not doing cardio then you're fucked. weight lifting can be VERY helpful as well, but only if you're doing it in a helpful manner. Working out your biceps every week will not make you punch harder, nor will benching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.