MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Shogun Rua vs Chael Sonnen odds for UFC on FOX Sports 1 #1: Sonnen opens as early fav

View Single Post

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Canadian Psycho
You're Welcome.

Canadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
What fights prove this? I'm not saying Chael doesn't have a good chin and isn't tough. He is. But any storm not named the 2 best fighters on the planet? Is it the Pillow handed Bisping that proves this? Stann who maybe hit him once before being on his back for the rest? Okami's storm? Nate's?
Yeah... ask me what fights prove this and then casually dismiss all of Sonnen's past opponents. That's a swell technique and really encourages debate

Fine then - we'll go with this. Sonnen walked through Silva's striking in their first fight - something no one else has been able to do - and Silva is much more dangerous and accurate with his striking than Shogun is at this point in his career. That and Shogun won't have the stamina to throw on a submission in the 11th hour (though I agree that stories of his lack of cardio can be exaggerated). But then this is merely my opinion. Shogun could stun and swarm Sonnen, but I don't see Rua as all that dangerous anymore. If Chael can walk through Anderson's striking for five rounds, he can walk through Shogun's.

Factor in Shogun's weak TDD, and I just see it as a bad matchup for him. Even when Sonnen has dominated, he's been stunned, rocked, cut, battered, etc. And he's pushed through it all. I don't think Shogun will be able to handle the pace and level of smothering that Sonnen will bring to this fight. Chael walks through Shogun's striking and grinds out a decision - imo.
Canadian Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote