MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Muscle Milk or Whey

View Single Post

Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Spatch
MMA Fanatic

Spatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hello, I am very new to this forum in fact this will be my first post.

Anyway, since proteins are the building blocks for muscle I believe there are four key times that they need to be consumed and that you are using the proper types. I will not go into great detail about the different types but feel it is necessary to briefly discuss whey and casein.

Whey Protein - digested and absorbed quickly, filling your blood with amino acids, but this effect does not last long. Whey stops supporting muscle growth in as little as 2 hours after ingestion.

Casein Protein - A very slow digesting protein that decreases muscle break down. Usually stays working for 4-5 hours after ingestion.

I blend whey and casein for the best results

1. Post-workout (MOST IMPORTANT!)- You can increase protein synthesis with a quick-digesting protein shake; I recommend a blend of whey and casein.

2. Pre-workout - Baylor University research shows that pre- and post-workout outperforms plain whey after training; I recommend a blend of whey and casein.

3. First thing in the morning - stop your body from breaking down muscle protein into fuel; I recommend whey hydrolysate (the fastest absorbing protein available).

4. Bedtime - again to help during the fasting state; I recommend casein or a blend.

Timing is the key to getting the most out of supplements!

As for the question of Muscle Milk or Whey? Muscle Milk is a blend of whey and casein proteins so it is great for most most of your protein needs. There are a ton of protein supplements out there don't tie yourself to one brand just pay attention to what you are buying.

Best of luck and I hope I helped.
Spatch is offline   Reply With Quote