Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Why I Believe Weidman Won't Hold the Title Long

5K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  CarlosCondit 
#1 ·
Left me preface this by saying I am a HUGE Anderson Silva mark....well, maybe not quite huge right now, due to his shenanigans. However, I am basing this solely on what I saw out of Weidman in the f. ht...

In round 1, Weidman looked like he had a pretty big head of steam and his confidence was jacked. As a result, he tossed AS on his ass and landed some pretty solid shots. However, after AS started clowning him, I saw a change in CW's eyes that kind of said, "holy hell, I DON'T got this..", and his spirit seemed to break as he let AS pull him into the striking game. This continued pretty much through to the end of the fight. Of course, I understand that Weidman knows AS is a counter puncher and that trading blows with him isn't the way to go, however, what I saw in CW's face until that knockout blow was prayer. I didnt see a bit of confidence in him in round 2 until AS had already hit the ground. Point here being, CW KNEW his only shot at winning in any decisive manner was to take Anderson to the ground and wail on him or submit him. Yet, he placed himself, in round two, right where AS wanted him, he went deer in the headlights and fell into the stand and trade mindset AS wanted him in. Silva's striking is so over and above Weidman's that it is not even funny, and Weidman and everyone else knows this....yet, after getting easily stuffed, Weidman fell right into a striking match with someone he couldn't strike with....outside of the ever present Puncher's chance that everyone has.

When Chael fought Anderson the first time, he dominated because he legitimately had ZERO fear of Anderson and he brought it. Weidman tried this in the first and fell out of it quickly once Anderson started bitching him. In other words, he can talk all he wants...but Weidman was scared (legitimately so). Had Anderson not clowned himself into that knockout, I believe with everything in me the Anderson would have dropped him within a minute. He was definitely looking for it. And I believe CW knew this as well. Had Anderson nor LITERALLY stuck his chin out for 30 seconds and said "hit me", I think we would have seen Weidman pull a Lesnar and run and collapse as soon as an AS power shot clipped him.

In other words, I personally believe Weidman is scared of losing and scared of someone putting fists all up in his face.

That being what it is, I see Weidman being revealed for the over hyped good, but not great fighter he is...and I see it happening quickly.

If Vitor gets the next shot, Vitor isn't gonna clown him. He is gonna rush with bombs and, if Weidman gets the take down, Vitor is very capable of making him pay there as well. If Weidman does somehow beat Vitor, he has other obstacles, like a fresh Mark Munoz, who will also put some crazy bombs on him and is someone that will take any punch you throw at him and still keep.coming. Also, Machida, if he drops to middleweight, would almost certainly have his way with Weidman due to his excellent takedown defense, power and precision of his punches.

All in all, I feel that, while Weidman is good, i think he is gonna show a lack of heart, ala Brock, as soon as someone he KNOWS is better is standing across from him and putting leather in his face. I honestly feel that we are gonna see a Weidman fall of epic proportions before he gets past his third title defense.

Or, he could adopt the GSP plan of grease and hold them down for five rounds dry humping them because judges scores in relation to lay and pray are ridiculous.

Of course, I could be wrong. But I think Weidman's heart will betray him soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Munoz? Lmao

Are people serious? Weidman already manhandled Munoz and Vitor who is on a great run struggles against wrestlers. Jacare could give Weidman problems but Okami will beat him.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#3 ·
Munoz? Lmao

Are people serious? Weidman already manhandled Munoz and Vitor is on a great run struggles against wrestlers. Jacare could give Weidman problems but Okami will beat him.

I say Munoz only because I honestly believe Weidman is gonna crumble as soon as a few VERY hard shots come his way, again, ala Lesnar. I have seen nothing but wrestling that impresses me with Weidman. He is just another hype train. I agree with you otherwise. If Weidman adopts the lay and pray, aka: the GSP special, method, he may hold his title for awhile. If someone throws fire at him he is gonna break pretty quickly, me thinks. Munoz can do that, hence my inclusion of him. Mark Munoz hits like a freaking truck and wrestlers have a habit of running from bombs, or just curling up.

However, in light of the new words regarding ufc 168, weidman may not defend the title even once. If there is a Silva/Weidman II, Weidman is done.

#7 ·
Weidman will stay champion for years unless Machida drops down in weight soon he could hand Weidman a loss.

The fact of this fight is that Silva got hit more in the face than Weidman in the standup on those occasions where he was not clowning.

Some people think Silva is always going to knock someone out with one strike it is like "he was soon going to knock him out" when he was not landing shit.

#8 ·
As much as I hate to admit, Weidman winning the belt is the best thing for the middleweight division. So many hungry contenders to test himself against, Machida might drop now, and I could also see Rory moving up.

If he continues to dominate, there could be talks of a superfight between Weidman and Jones. I feel that is much more likely to happen than Jones/Silva ever was.

#10 ·
Or, he could adopt the GSP plan of grease and hold them down for five rounds dry humping them because judges scores in relation to lay and pray are ridiculous.
You troll, grease and lay n pray, go watch a fight again, its called active G'N'P

As much as I hate to admit, Weidman winning the belt is the best thing for the middleweight division. So many hungry contenders to test himself against, Machida might drop now, and I could also see Rory moving up.

If he continues to dominate, there could be talks of a superfight between Weidman and Jones. I feel that is much more likely to happen than Jones/Silva ever was.
I agree, Weidman's biggest threats aren't in the MW currently, Machida is elusive and could pose a problem (atleast Silva engages and doesn't back away and counter) and Rory could likely move, he just seems to be cut from the same mold as Weidman and could pose a few problems given his all around skill-set

#11 ·
You troll, grease and lay n pray, go watch a fight again, its called active G'N'P

I agree, Weidman's biggest threats aren't in the MW currently, Machida is elusive and could pose a problem (atleast Silva engages and doesn't back away and counter) and Rory could likely move, he just seems to be cut from the same mold as Weidman and could pose a few problems given his all around skill-set
Rory, Vitor, Machida and maybeeeeeeeeeee Hashad are the fights I wanna see.

#12 ·
This is the worst goddamn thing i've ever seen.

The dude just not only beat Anderson Silva but knocked him out cold and you have people calling him nothing but a hype train and saying the guy who one year he obliterated in every aspect of MMA and in the entire lead up to Silva vs Weidman was called an average fighter will now destroy him.

Get real. Weidman is the champ, he put Anderson out, he is the real deal.

#13 ·
This is not a troll thread. It's a fairly well thought out statement which I felt as well. Most just wanted to see Anderson get KTFO which it happened. But I saw exactly what the OP stated. This is what Anderson always does. He lures them into his game. For the first time it backfired end of story. Add to that Weidman's pre mindset, training, and you have what happened.

Look at GSP's statement. I also thought if Weidman pulled off the victory it would have been via GNP or submission. Anyone who says otherwise is trolling.

Weidman just got here. He's got many years to go. For me it's not about sour grapes. Deep down I knew it was a matter of time. I honestly thought Vitor or even Chael could have done it even though I bet money on Anderson. This fight was one of the only ones where I did'nt bet real money. I felt uneasy. Blame it on MMA-sport with that damn Mastermind video...lolz!

Anyways...fantastic win from Weidman. He won...sucks for all of us fans, but hey as Rogan said..."Anderson redlined it and pushed it to the limits having an extroadinary amount of pressure on his shoulders all these years."

He's free now. "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."

#14 ·
I'm really happy for Chris being Champion. I'm a huge Silva fan, but I said two years ago Weidman would be champ someday...(just never thought so soon)...

IMO... I think if Silva retires, Chris will hold that belt for many years to come.

In rematch versus Silva... I'm 50/50

Also... I would say LL called this fight... but he always predicts Silva to lose so:laugh:

#19 ·
I agree that Weidman won't hold the belt long. I think he'd lose for sure against Belfort and the likes of, Bisping, Rockhold, Souza would also stand a good chance of taking the belt.

Add to the mix, Machida, Hendo, Moussasi and Evans could drop down.

Hell, even GSP might fancy a move up if Silva is serious about not fighting for the strap anymore.

Theres just too many seasoned fighters for him to be a long term holder of the belt. I fully expect one of the LHW guys to drop for a title shot.

Reactions: joshua7789
#21 ·
I don't bisping or Rockhold stand much of a chance, GSP won't fight Weidman, I think rory is the one who will move up after GSP beats Hendricks and says he isn't going up in weight

#34 ·
Weidman fan or not...Weidman proved NOTHING other than he can knock out a guy that stands with his hands by his side and chin out, doing little more than jooking his head. Nobody with a lick of sense gave CW the stand up advantage...not even close there, actually. If Anderson actually fought, there isa VERY good chance that he would still be champ. Weidman brought nothing that I saw, especially compared to what Chapel brought to Anderson. I understand there are some Weidman marks out there, but playing like anything happened other than Silva showboating his chin into getting tagged can only be willful ignorance, if you watched the fight. Anderson beat Anderson. Simple as that. I really don't care much for a rematch...but if there is one, and Silva comes to fight, CW is gonna have a short and horrible night. CW hype train, woohoo!!

#24 ·
Yeah vitor's gonna beat weidman alright.... how quickly we forget vitor getting taken down and getting a big black eye against a fat out of shape gassed rumble johnson and now he's gonna beat weidman right. And anderson sure showed how much betetr he is than weidman right.... who is gonna beat weidman at mw? no one for the forseeable future

#26 ·
I'm going to have to go with Vitor if he gets home court advantage for obvious reasons. TRT Vitor is unstoppable!

True contenders would be Lyoto possibly Rashad, maybe Gegard, Munoz rematch is interesting,

I don't think Jacare, Luke, will be much of a threat although a Bisping matchup would be entertaining. Bisping does well against wrestlers, but he just can't take a punch well.

I was thinking about Hendo, but he's too old these days.

What do you guys think about Chael...roflz!

Costa would be very interesting especially his history with Serra's camp. I think Costa if he has the conditioning would pose a viable threat. He's strong enough to repel the takedowns and likes to bang.

#27 ·
I don't think anyone at MW currently can beat Weidman other than Anderson. I mean Vitor has the power to end it, but off TRT I give him no chance. He isn't elusive enough to stay away from TDs. Mousasi is good, but has no wrestling and would have to sub from bottom somehow. Jacare may be a good fight.

I give Jacare the best shot other than Anderson. I do think if Machida moved down and did well with cutting weight that he would beat Weidman. He could be boring and out cardio/out point Chris.

#29 ·
I hope your not basing your comment on Mousasi's wrestling by the last 2 fights he's had. His fight against Mo Lawal was an aberration, he was far too relaxed and by the time he realized Mo had humped him to a decision the fight was over. I liken that fight to the GSP/Serra fight, GSP went into that fight thinking it would be a breeze (which it should have)and all of sudden he was one and done. Mousasi looked like he had Octagon jitters in his last fight which I'm sure he thought wouldn't happen considering all the places he's fought. No one is immune to 1st time Octagon jitters, unless they're too stupid to know they should be nervous. I think Gegard will have the same kind of success he had in Pride.

#30 ·
It depends on who he fights. ViTRTor could catch him no doubt but he does struggle against wrestlers. I think Bisping and Jacare are probably the worst matchups for him currently in the top 10. Weidman isn't that fast so an in and out striker with good defensive wrestling like a Bisping or Machida could probably work him all day long and Jacare is a very similar fighter to Weidman but probably has more power in his hands and better submissions.

#36 ·
Watching them throw punches...

I guess you are one of those people who thinks punching power is some magical natural ability. Whether a punch hurts someone is dependent on physics and placement and nothing more.

I said probably because Weidman might have better placement but Jacare definitely throws faster more forceful punches. They are both grapplers who can get noticeably better at striking from one fight to the next as well.

#33 ·
I'd be surprised if Lyoto's people haven't already reached out to Dana to explore the possibility of dropping to MW.

I'm picking him as the next middle weight champ by spring 2014.

And if this shake-up, along with AS's comments, don't induce Rashad to drop down, nothing will.

#37 ·
Anyone seen Weidman's TMZ video where he states that he destroyed Anderson? Lol. He must have also watched the same 'it didn't happen' fight that all the Weidman marks on here watched.

Chris, hitting a knocking a guy out when he drops his hands, sticks out his chin and goads you into knocking him out does not equal destruction, you tool.

Weids has bought into his own hype it seems.

I have changed my mind, now...please let us see Silva/Weidman II....and Anderson, please break this joker permanently.

If Chris is gonna talk some trash regarding Anderson's antics, which he rightfully can and should, can he at least do so without being a delusional d-bag himself? Dude...just accept that you knocked out a guy who was playing games and not defending himself and move on. You didn't impress anyone but the marks. The rest of us pretty well saw how much of an overhyped joke you really are.

#38 ·

How did Weidman miss shots 3, 4, 5 and 6 while he had Silva down and partially mounted? I missed this the first go around.

Also, marks, this is the knockout. Was this the fight you saw where Anderson was outclassed? I'm seeing a jackass play games with a far inferior opponent and get clipped...and deservedly so. Every viewing makes me like Anderson less and less for losing to this douche.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.