Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Weidman vs Jones who would win ?

6K views 63 replies 37 participants last post by  Gustafsson Fan 
#1 ·
Weidman 187 cm
Jon Jones 193
Cain 185 cm

Weidman actually is taller than the heavyweight champion and he is taller than some of Jones recent opponents. If Weidman packed on muscles could he beat Jon Jones ?

IMO I think he would lose vs Jones since his style does not match up very well

- He does have ok footwork but not good enough to be able to constantly close in on Jones huge range

- Since Jones is an outstanding wrestler himself and will at fight night have a few pounds weight advantage it would be hard for Weidman to take Jones down. They could nullify each others wrestling. This leads to a "rerun" of Jones vs Rashad Evans (= Jones by UD)

#43 ·
If Silva had won the fight against you, there was talk about possible superfights for Silva against either Jon Jones or Georges St-Pierre. Now that for the time being that’s not going to happen, would you ever consider a fight against either of those two guys?

Definitely not against GSP. First off, I would never call out someone who was a lot smaller than me. I’ve trained with him before, and he’s just a smaller guy. I’m not the type of guy who is going to be like, Hey, you want to fight? I’ve got Anderson Silva on my mind, but if the fans wanted to see that fight [against Jones] and the UFC wanted it to happen, I’m 1000 percent in. I asked to fight Jon Jones on 10 days’ notice back when Dan Henderson got hurt. But I wasn’t a big enough name at that point, so they were like, no.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/18638/weidman-motivated-for-rematch-with-silva

#52 ·
Weidman is a big MW, he is 6'2, has a 78 inch reach and would have no problem moving up to LHW. He stated himself that he is usually around 203 and would move up if the UFC and fans wanted it but he wanted to be the MW champion first.

I agree with others that it is early to have a Weidman vs Jones fight but I'd love to see it down the road.

#61 ·
Nice, another "super fight" that will be talked about for years but will never even come close to happening. I'll stay tuned for the lulzy threads, though.

#64 ·
Hypothetical battle if in year 2014

My take on how this fight probably would turn out. Both weight in on 205. At fight night Jones is 225 Pounds while Chris Weidman is 210 pounds. Large advantage to Jon Jones.

Round 1:
Weidman pushes forward from the start to close in on Jones range. Weidman manages to push Jones back and they clinch for a long time on the fence. After Weidman fails a few attempts to go for a single and double leg Jones breaks free into the center of the Octagon.

Both are a bit tired and so it goes back and fourth on the feet.

EVEN ROUND

Round 2:
Weidman tries to clinch right away but Jones pushes him off. Jones start to use pot shots with leg kicks, some jabs and knee cap kicks. Weidman tries to jump in a few times but Jones backs off and hold hands with fingers in Weidmans face. Weidman suddenly gets a takedown due to Jones missing a strike and is in Jones guard. But Weidman is starting gassing since he has been using a lot of energy lifting Jones 225 pounds in clinches. Weidman starts laying on Jones and referee stands them up.

Jones lands a huge kick to Weidmans knee cap and Weidman staggers away.

JONES ROUND

Round 3:
Weidman is stationary and has trouble closing in the range. He only tries to throw occasional high kick and one-two's that miss the target. Jones lands a lot of kicks and also some knees in this round. He does no longer avoid the clinch since Weidman is too tired to take him down.

JONES ROUND

Round 4:
Jones lands a big strike and take Weidman down. Jones keeps ground and pounding for a while scoring double digit strikes. Referee stops the fight.

JON JONES WINS VIA KNOCKOUT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.