MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Anthony Pettis Says no one knows who Josh Thomson is.

View Single Post

Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #63 (permalink)
SideWays222
All Around Nice Guy

SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
Most MMA fans have not heard of Josh Thompson. An MMA fan includes anyone who considers them self a fan. The MMA fans who are hardcore enough to visit this website and other places to discuss MMA in depth are a very small percentage of the overall fan base. So yes, most MMA fans, mostly the 90%+ that make up the casual fan base, probably do not know who he is off the top of their head.

We count, we just make up a minority of the overall population, hence my use of the word "most".

It's a terrible place to get a representative sample of what the average MMA fan thinks. It's the equivalent of going to comicon and taking a survey of how many hard core Stak Trek fans vs. casual Stark Trek fans there are in the building then using that number to determine how hardcore the average St fan is. Most people on this forum are way more hardcore than the majority of UFC fans.

I don't think I ever said MMA or the UFC is fading or trendy? The individual casual viewer is probably considered far less important than a single hardcore. It is simply a numbers game. There are simply way more people who are casual fans, meaning casual fans make the most money.

Look at MMORPG's like WoW. For years they have been adjusting the style of the game to be more and more casual friendly, for this exact reason. Hardcore fans are the most vocal, but casual fans pay the bills.

I don't think there is any such thing as a true fan. This isn't some contest. I may think it's lame that your favorite fighter ever is Brock Lesnar and the greatest fight of all time was Griffin vs Bonnar, but that doesn't make you any less of a fan.

I was simply agreeing with Pettis that most MMA fans, in other words a large percentage of the fan base, which includes both hardcores and casuals, do not know who Josh Thomson is, or at least need to remind them self.

What kind of fan am I? I'd consider myself on the low end of hardcore. I've followed the sport for 7 years, I come to this forum 20 times a day, I read every article that gets posted on places like BJPENN, I never miss a UFc event, and I have followed many other orgs in the past like Pride, K-1, Bellator, and yes, even some Strikeforce.

Perhaps I should be considering casual though? Apparently the fact that I had to look up Josh Thomson to remind myself who he was has caused several people to lose respect for me. I guess watching the guy fight a bunch of times is irrelevant if you forget his name?
Ape City you are clearly not a fan of the sport but are a fan of watching shirtless guys and for that names only cheapen the experience.

just kidding bro. Your good.

2014 FFL

Robbie Lawler

Daniel Cormier
Rory Macdonald
Alan Patrick
Stephen Thompson
SideWays222 is online now   Reply With Quote