MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Want Powerful Legs?

View Single Post

Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyclist
Flyweight

Cyclist is an unknown quantity at this pointCyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sove
I agree with what cyclist said about cycling. Though I do have a road bike, I recently starting doing a 60minute spin class at my gym. Holy god that class will kill you if you really put yourself into it. If you keep your abs engaged and keep good form on the bike it will strengthen your legs, cardio, and core (plus, you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car). Also, the revolving stair type stair machines are the best cardio workout ever if you have the discipline and endurance to push yourself hard. I try not to go under level 15. If I'm not all there mentally when I do it, I have a hard time not quitting before my 45 minutes is up. That's why I like spin. I'm not going to walk out no matter how bad of a mood I'm in. Couldn't have the teacher see me walk out! It's an ego thing I guess.
Spinning is great but nothing beats trying to climb a real hill. I try to ride in neighborhoods near highways so every few miles there are over passes. This can get dangerous when the only over passes are the ones with on and off ramps. So I would just ride at night in that situation.

May I suggest getting a cheap cycle computer to those who are interested in cycling for leg strengh, cardio and endurance. Since you really need to monitor your heart rate, and you want to keep it between 80 and 100 rpms to get the best out of the cycling workout.

As for hiking or the stair master. You guys ever notices the stair master is always the cleanest machine in the gym? They are just brutal. I try to hike atleast twice a month with at minimum at 60lb pack even if I am not camping. The elevation changes, uneven ground, and altitude all provided by nature just gives one hell of a strengh, and endurance workout. Plus with the changing air density, it will help raise you v02 max.

If you guys have any questions about this send me a message or whatever.

Cyclist.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote