• Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

***OFFICIAL*** Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald Thread

10K views 145 replies 53 participants last post by  Sports_Nerd 
#1 ·
Welterweight bout: 170 pounds

See less See more
#2 ·
Rooting for Ellenberger but I see Macdonald taking this one. I think MacDonald is better conditioned and is slightly better overall, I expect MacDonald to eventually take over the fight if he doesn't from the beginning. I think Ellenberger's only solid chance is to win by KO and I hope he does.

#3 ·
So, who will have the strength advantage in this fight? Ellenberger is a juggernaut obviously, but Rory seems to be getting stronger every fight. I expect Ellenberger to have the strength advantage up until the later rounds. I can't wait for this one.

#6 ·
most relevant fight on the card imo

will be good to see which one of these guys is the real deal

i hope they go for it

i cant pick it either, so much to be learned from this fight. i just want the more aggressive guy to win

#7 ·
I thin Ellenberger will take this. I can see him coming in looking like a monster, with improved cardio, and hopefully some improved top control. Though clearly not counting out Rory, this is a pretty even fight if you ask me, I see Ellenberger holding the title within a year

#33 ·
I thin Ellenberger will take this. I can see him coming in looking like a monster, with improved cardio, and hopefully some improved top control. Though clearly not counting out Rory, this is a pretty even fight if you ask me, I see Ellenberger holding the title within a year
It's actually not not too bad. with Fitch gone, the only real guy with a dominant top game is GSP. Hendricks doesn't quite have it or Rory.

Edit: maybe DHK.

#11 ·
I loathe Rory. Like, almost as bad as I loathe the Diaz brothers and Bisping, but I think he gets the win here.

Ellenberger clips him in round one, Rory takes the last two dominantly.

Rory 29-28 maybe with a 29-27 thrown in there.

#12 ·
End of the day, I'm not interested in seeing anybody with questionable cardio ( eg Ellenburger ) go against GSP. If you cant go 5 hard rounds, then you don't deserve the chance.

Even if he was to somehow beat Rory and GSP, the last thing I ever want to see is a champ looking like shit in rounds 4 and 5 of a title defence.

#21 ·
Yeah he is the Hendo of WW. I am a fan of both but you need to at least be able to go a normal pace for 4 rounds; almost everyone is slowed down considerably by the fifth. I don't want to see a champion lose the belt because he gasses in the second round. The thing is though he has a decent chance of just braining both guys in the first.

#14 ·
I think he's trying to pad and improve his record and his skills before GSP retires, which in my opinion could be after the Hendricks fight, or one fight after. I think he wants to break Silva's record for most title defenses and then call it a career.

#16 ·
Definitely going to be an explosive fight.

Rory on paper is a more well rounded fighter, BUT I just don't see him winning a SD/UD. I think Ellenberger comes in and hurts him early and will finish with a TKO.

Jake has mack truck power for a ww and if his cardio is in line, he can pose a threat to any top 5 guy.

#20 ·
Can't believe Ellenberger is leading this poll. Rory is almost a 2.5 to 1 favorite. Rory is technically better everywhere with more cardio.

I hope I am wrong, but Berger isn't in Rory's league. And relying on power vs. a technical guy like Rory with a great camp of people to gameplan the power; isn't the best of situations.

And I am not Rory fan at all.

#31 ·
GSP has hardly used wrestling in his last 4 fights... but somehow he is still a "human blanket". (I may remember the Diaz fight wrong...)

#32 ·
I dunno, I think Ellenberger should be able to shrug Rory off up until he gasses and Rory takes over (if this fight makes it passed the first round). Jake's strength and take down defense isn't bad at all when he's fresh. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine Rory out grappling Jake from the start. If you mean he's going to pressure him against the cage and what not, maybe, but they are both really strong guys so it will be interesting to see how that unfolds early on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.