MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Intense Jones vs. Gustafsson Stare Down (GIF)

View Single Post

Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Soojooko
of Nazareth

Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
Walk with me through this explanation since it appears you aren't getting what I am talking about (I'm probably not explaining my thoughts correctly). They are about a inch height difference, so their leg length should be close to even. So you are right that there is no reach advantage in terms of leg length, but just like with punches, the type of kick can also determine reach advantage. Just like Wandy's reach is no where near his actual arm length because he throws hooks instead of jabs, Jones has the reach advantage because his goal is to push rather than kick.

When Gus wants to kick JBJ he is going to have to step inside JBJ's reach to kick him because he wants to land with the side or front of his foot/shin. When JBJ wants to kick he will instead try to kick with the bottom of his foot putting him on the very outreach of Gus's kicking reach. Thus due to the goal of the kick it still leaves JBJ with a 2 or 3in to foot reach advantage.

My point is, even though Gus is the better striker, he still has a reach disadvantage no matter what that he is going to have to deal with. And he isn't fighting Struve who couldn't keep Barry from tagging him, he is fighting JBJ, arguable the best fighter in MMA right now and keeping distance rather than escaping to a safe distance (a la Machida).
Sorry bro... but this sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. Just because they are the same height, it doesn't mean their leg length is "close to even". With the MMA world refusing to measure leg length, all we can do is speculate. But im sure as hell not going to assume all dudes of the same height have the same leg length.

Saying things like "this isnt Struve"? Whats that got to do with anything. Neither of these guys have ever fought at HW.

I could say Gus is not old washed up Rampage. Or scared Rashad. Or incey wincey Sonnen and Belfort. Gus is a hardcore iron chinned Viking beast with a nice arse. He has my backing.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote