Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Tito Ortiz vs Rampage Jackson PPV

11K views 85 replies 36 participants last post by  John8204 
#1 ·
But not for the UFC :laugh:, just though I'd let y'all know

Bellator pulled off the ultimate curveball on Wednesday night after rumors had circulated for more than a week that newly signed light heavyweight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson would make his debut in a boxing match against Roy Jones Jr.

Several reports surfaced claiming that Jackson and Jones had agreed to meet in a boxing match that would take place in the first-ever Bellator pay-per-view.

That all changed dramatically during Bellator's broadcast on Wednesday when Jackson was brought into the cage with Jones sitting just outside watching the action.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet," Jackson said with a big smile on his face. "There's a lot of rumors out there, I don't know how that one got so big."

Jackson went on to say that he was a big fan of Jones and even bought his first gloves based on watching "Junior" put in work in the squared circle, but for his first fight in Bellator, there was no chance he was doing anything but mixed martial arts.

"My first fight in Bellator I want it to be a MMA fight, not a boxing match," Jackson stated. "Cause I love MMA again."

Jackson then turned to the entrance way where he said his next opponent would be making his way to the cage. With a little bit of professional wrestling theatrics, the Eminem song "Mosh" started playing, and from the shadows stepped former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz.

The longtime UFC veteran and Hall of Famer had teased recently that he was working on a possible comeback to fighting, and now he has a home in the Bellator cage.

Ortiz and Jackson are familiar with each other after training together on and off for many years around the same neighborhoods in southern California. They had stated in the past that they would not fight because of their long-standing friendship, but they are setting that aside to take part in the first-ever Bellator pay-per-view on November 2 from the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center.

"I fought the best of the best in the world. I've been fighting for a long, long time and Rampage too. We've trained with each other, we've been friends for a long time, but it's time to put the friendship aside," Ortiz said. "It's about giving the fans what they want to see and the best fight possible's going to happen here in Bellator."

During his 16-year fight career, Ortiz had only fought outside the UFC once, in his third professional fight. The former light heavyweight champion competed 27 times inside the Octagon, but for the first time since 1998, he will call another promotion home.

Jackson is also excited about returning to a main event against Ortiz after having his passion reignited upon signing with Bellator earlier this year.

“Honestly, I feel like I’ve been reborn.,” Jackson said in a press release from Bellator sent after the fight announcement. “My excitement, energy and aggression, it’s all back and bigger than ever. I feel like a kid again. The Rampage you’ll see Nov. 2 will be better than any Rampage you’ve ever seen. Everybody knows Tito and I have a very long history. He’s a former teammate and friend, and it’s one of the reasons I stayed away from the UFC as long as I did. But, I want to be very clear; any sort of friendship we once had doesn’t exist when that cage door shuts.

"I’ve got a ton to prove on November 2, and unfortunately for Tito he’s the guy I have to make an example of. He’s in my house now and Saturday, November 2 on PPV, it’s going to be a horrible night for Tito Ortiz.”

This will be Bellator's debut in the pay-per-view arena, but with new partners in Viacom and Spike TV, it seemed like only a matter of time before it happened.

On November 2, Bellator will headline a show pitting two former UFC champions looking for a jump start into the next phase of their MMA careers against each other.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-pay-per-view

#11 ·
Lmao.

I thought this fight was a joke when I first read about it last night. Heard it on the radio this morning and I honestly can't believe this is true. That being said, Tito is going to get destroyed in this fight.

#12 ·
I would rather tito win to plummet bumpages stock even more, knowing that they are both friends (who knew two diva jerkoff idiots could be friends) this will likely be a glorified sparring match with neither wanting to hurt eachother.

#15 ·
did I mention it's on pay per view, who would shell out there hard earned dollars to watch two never was beens with their bowling ball heads clunk together

#17 ·
Let's not act like this wouldn't be at worst the co-main event of UFC 163 coming up or a weak card Zuffa makes people pay for lie UFC 161. They would be promoting these guys over their champions and main eventers the same way.

Might not be that good of a fight but I think Rampage is still>>>>>Tito and will make him quit.

What I'm looking most forward to is how they stack this card up. It will be hard for them to go wrong.

#21 ·
I hope Mo is fighting on the card against either Vegh or Newton. Though I also want to see Vegh rematch Newton, that was a very close fight. But I'd really rather see Mo on there against either if it can work out that way.

Volkov vs Minakov would also be awesome to get on this card.

The winner of Shlemenko vs Marshall might not have a decent opponenet to try for this card in time, unless they can get a decent enough free agent to fight on this. None really come to mind but to fall back on the MMA GOAT of EVA!! Mr. Marvelous, Melvin Manheof seems like the best choice ever for Marshal or Storm.

Ben Askren is not on this card = Buyrate through the roof!!!

Chandler vs Jansen easy. Must be put on this PPV

Same with Curran. Curran and Chandler are must see MMA. Curran vs Frodo, or Straus but preferably Frodo.

So my preference is:

Page vs Tito
Chandler vs Jansen
Curran vs Frodo
Minakov vs Volkov
Lawal vs Newton
Shlemenko vs Manheof

That is worth $$$ to see. Actually that is worth more then I think they can put together, I doubt they can stack the card this well. But something with a few of these fights or fights like it would be good. Even if you throw in the Saunders, Friere bros, or Rogers, there are a lot of exciting good fighters to put on this card and the likely Spike undercard.

Been looking forward to this for a while.

#35 ·
Woqh now, I never said that they were nothing, obviously both fighters had a pretty big impact on the sport. Hell, depending on the price I may even buy the damn event.

But Jackson and Ortiz really are the definition of has beens. That's all I'm saying. Both guys have slowed down a bit and are getting old and slow. Ortiz looked like hot garbage against practically everyone in his last few fights minus the crazy Bader win. Jackson hasn't looked good in a while.

Not saying the fight shouldn't happen because this is the entertainment business and Jackson and Tito are some of the biggest names in MMA in the past decade, but this fight has "stink" written all over it.

#39 ·
Tito's isses the last few fights is that he is just too slow and cumbersome. He built his back and neck up huge probably to compensate for all the surgeries, but when he throws punches its like slow motion.
He can beat page if he puts him on his ass within the first couple of minutes and does some damage. Otherwise page will pick him off to a decision probably, or a few knees to the body

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.