Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Tips for New Grapplers

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  IronMan 
#1 ·
I've been taught since I started grappling that improvement comes through dedicated training and study. That pretty much goes without saying, but here are a few tips I wanted to throw out for new grapplers on how to quickly improve your game.

1) Train with experienced grapplers. Training with your buddies is great, but you learn the most training with guys who are on a much higher level than you are.

2) When you don't have an available training partner, watch tape. Watch grapplers like Fedor Emelianenko, Royce Gracie, Matt Hughes and Kevin Randleman and make notes about how they do certain things, then try and apply them the next time you are training.

3) Walk through situations slowly and carefully. Think about things before you do them, training is the best time to hone your reflexes and to think about your technique, so that it's all built in once practical application becomes necessary.

4) Be aware of your opponent and what you would do in their situation. You can always end up on the other side of the technique, be aware of how you would try to escape.

5) Don't just focus on the parts of your body active in the submission, engage the whole body. This greatly increases your power and physical strength.

See less See more
#3 ·
Try getting into some BJJ or Judo and get some training. At least to defend against submissions and standard mistakes that guys make. It's ridiculous how many guys at the professional level can't defend against simple submissions.

#5 ·
Tape is one of the most underrated things in MMA training. Chuck Liddells KO of Babalu the first time they fought was based on his tendencies in tape of Babalu's previous fights.

#7 ·
I would like to offer a few things here if you dont mind :)

1. Make sure you get a firm knowledge of the basics, things like center line, grips, where you weight is compared to thiers, leverage and your position being relative to your goal ie...if you are want to sweep, where are your hips and where should they be to execute that sweep.

2. Dont focus on not getting submitted when starting, this is the time where you will learn and learn from your mistakes. Also if you are rolling with someone more advanced, ask questions like what could I have done different in that situation, what did I do wrong, what should I have been aware of that I was not....do not be afraid to ask questions and learn from them.

3. Most important is to have fun, if you are not having fun, you will find yourself bored or losing interest.

4. Get alot of mat time in, Rome was not built in a day and your game wont be either, takes a lot of time dedication to become at anything, BJJ is not different :)

GO ROLL!!!!

#13 ·
IronMan said:
For sure. Don't expect to do anything in a fight that you haven't done in practice.
So what styles have you practiced and how old are you iron? (i forget:dunno: )

#14 ·
doublelegtakedown said:
So what styles have you practiced and how old are you iron? (i forget:dunno: )
I'm 16.

I study BJJ, Folkstyle Wrestling (a little), Judo and Aikido. I am also developing my own style of grappling which combines what I know from these styles with some of my own submissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.