MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Muay Thai or TKD

View Single Post

Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #74 (permalink)
Kin
MMA fighter

Kin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By AllKin Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNegation
No. Thats all I have to say to your arguement. You cannot take six techniques from a certain style and say you are practising that style.
TKD is more than six techniques. Its a way of fighting, of throwing punches and kicks, blocking punches and kicks and evading punches and kisks, and it is an ineffective way, as proven by most people who stepped into competitions with it.
A more effective fighting art is Muay Thai.
''TKD practitioners in general tend to utilize their techniques poorly'' TKD in general has poor techniques.

You don't put time and effort to train in a certain style only to take a acouple punches and kicks from it, thatwould be a complete waste of time.

''MT IZ A JOKE Y DO U LZRS DO MOO TAI WIT ITZ FLIPPY KICKZ?"
TKD didn't evolveinto having flippy kicks, it always had them.
You say that its a waste of time to only take away certain techniques from a style. I'd disagree. From most styles, there are adjustments that must be made regardless. In the world of mix martial arts, sifting through techniques is exactly what you do. Every style is modified to fit the cage, and every style has aspects that doesn't work in an MMA environment so it is removed.

Anyways, I find it funny when people say that TKD has intrinsically poor techniques. The specific ones that I kept from it are the jab, cross punch, hook, uppercut, roundhouse kick, front kick, and sidekick. Those are poor techniques? The listed punches are the staple of boxing. And few would argue that those kicks dont have a place somewhere in MMA.

And contrary to popular misconception, TKD didn't always have 'flippy kicks.' Back when I practiced it, I had been taught powerful kicks. And I had also been warned about the tournament variations of said techniques, which are basically flicks of the leg.

I mean, I hate to burst people's bubbles but... properly distributing weight to give their punches/kicks power is a pretty wide-spread principal. I'd be skeptical to think that the Koreans couldn't figure it out.

Also, I believe its possible that some people are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. I wouldn't, by any means, argue that TKD is its own self-sufficient style (not that any style is). I, however, am just saying that its unmodified techniques are hardly different from other striking arts I've seen/practiced. It's just applied poorly.
Kin is offline   Reply With Quote