Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chris Weidman: Anderson Silva Is Beatable, Not A Mythical Creature

3K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  sucrets 
#1 ·
So it begins...the reign of Weidman or...

“I was convinced Chris [Weidman] could do something to shock the world and beat Anderson Silva,” Submission coach John Danaher tells Fighters Only magazine inside their latest issue, which is due to his newsstands in the US on Aug. 27. “People don’t realize that in order to do something great you yourself have to be great. You have to have the seeds of greatness inside you to perform great actions.”

Chris Weidman, of course, captured the UFC middleweight belt at UFC 162, dethroning pound-for-pound standout Anderson Silva in the process. The two are set for a return at UFC 168 on Dec. 28, in a rematch Weidman tells the magazine he was expecting long before the first fight ended.

Weidman, in an exclusive with Fighters Only editor Nick Peet, goes on to say: “He has to fight me to get himself back on track, and I knew he wasn’t going to retire, so, yeah, his only option is to have the rematch. Once he took a couple of days and started thinking straight again, it was inevitable we were going to agree to a second fight. And I know he’ll come back stronger, better and more determined to beat me, but I’ll be ready for that.”

And the new UFC 185-pound No. 1 also reveals Anderson’s aura of invincibility never fazed him heading into their first fight, despite the former champion's record breaking reign and unbeaten run. And he doesn't expect him to play a part in the rematch either.

“So many people build Anderson up and he’s almost thought of as this mythical creature,” Weidman states. “That he could beat six guys at once, and he could knock me out any time he wants to. People really have these crazy thoughts about him, they actually think he’s, like, beyond great. But to me he’s only ever just been another human guy, and one that I think I’m better than.”

For the full interview don't miss the next issue of Fighters Only when it lands in North America next week, when it will also be available on iTunes Newsstand, Kindle and Zinio.

Also, inside the next issue of Fighters Only; photographer Tom Bear spends a day training with resurgent Blackzilians light heavyweight Thiago Silva; Alexander Gustaffson predicts another upset when he faces UFC champ Jon Jones; Erick Silva explains how losing is the key to greatness; Shawn Jordan reveals his blueprint from college football star to UFC prospect.

The October 2013 issue of Fighters Only Magazine goes on sale in the U.S. and Canada Aug. 27. It’s also available online via iTunes Newsstand, Kindle and Zinio. Visit www.fightersonlymag.com for subscription details.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/article...lva-is-Beatable-Not-a-Mythical-Creature-55263

#2 ·
He speaks the truth, but I think there are some situations in a fight, in which Silva is unstoppable and a fighter like Weidman should acknowledge that, before the rematch. Some fighters lose focus for a second against Silva and I think he is a master at detecting such moments. Anderson takes advantage very quickly, when he spots those moments thanks to his advanced striking and speed. Weidman came prepared in the first fight, he paid attention throughout it and he won when he capitalized after Silva's clowning moments. That doesn't make Weidman way better than Silva and he needs to stay very focused like in the first fight, because Silva can make the rematch very ugly for the new champ just like that. Focus, Chris-kun, focus!

#4 ·
The rematch should be a measuring stick to where silva is at, for the most part I believed he lost focus a long time. However he kept winning as he is just that talented. We'll get to see what a focus and a hungry silva looks like, it have been almost seven years since we seen it. Crazy that this is the first time in seven years someone else than ilva has held that MW belt.

#9 ·
Highly doubt that Silva is hungry now all of a sudden... He's a legend in UFC, famous in Brazil, got lots of money... Touching the gold again won't mean much, he's not a 25-year-old kid anymore.

#10 ·
Silva regaining the title won't mean much?

For sure, Silva only signed up for the rematch because he's not hungry to avenge his loss and get back the championship belt or anything irrelevant like that. It must be solely for another big pay day even though Silva already has more money then he knows what to do with.

#11 ·
...Weidman is so full of himself now saying Anderson is beatable...but he had better look in the mirror. Chris isn't mythical by no means and he is beatable as well. He will get his first loss, handing the title back to Anderson in their rematch. I just have a strong feeling that Anderson will adjust beautifully like he did against Sonnen when they fought the 2nd time and he will finish Weidman this go-around. No horseplay anymore and this will be the most focused Anderson Silva we have ever seen in the Octagon. I hope Chris spends as much time with the belt as he can cause he will be giving it back to Anderson pretty soon. A refocused Anderson Silva is a scary concept...

#16 ·
But Silva lost to other grapplers when he was in his physical peak and fought to make a living. Now he has money, fame etc but he did not back then. So he was fully motivated and lost, how do you explain that ?

He lost once to an "unlucky" foot lock yes, but he also won fights where he was very close to losing. He also lost to a wrestler long time ago and lost his MMA debute and now he also lost to Weidma. So basically we rewrite history and say when Silva loses it is just bad luck or bad focus and when he wins it is because he is too good?

Silva is one of the greatest but there are other that also are on that level. Weidman could very well dominate the division as Silva did and he has the style to beat Silva.

#17 ·
I have been saying this ever since Weidman first appeared, he was the one to beat Silva because he just did not give a damn about fame, money or mythical beings.

Silva only beat a lot of other fighters because the idea of Silva was more frightening than the actuality of it. Sonnen would have won had his submission defense been more prepared, Henderson would have won had he kept it wrestling and Lutter was doing a fine job until illegal elbows.

Fact is, Silva has always been beatable even before the Weidman fight, it's just Weidman is younger and more knowledgable in all areas than the others and did not make any mistakes.

#29 ·
One thing I want to point out, if you really look closely at the fights.

Every champion has some sort of game plan. Anderson is the only one who seems to improvise still in this modern age. His game is to strike, but he's comfortable on the ground. Every fight ends different usually with some sort of finish as opposed to Mighty Mouse, Bendo/Edgar, DC, Cain or GSP where you pretty much know exactly how the fight is going to transpire. The LHW title holder might be another exception.

I mean not even his cornerman know what he's going to do. That's how talented he is. Some who see him as a "clown" should take it for what it is. It's all part of the act. Much like Chael pre-fight time. Sometimes it's hard to decipher what's real and what's not.

There's a lot on the line for both. Weidman wants to show the world it was no fluke. Anderson to further cement his legacy. Coming back from a devastating loss is one the toughest things to do mentally.

In the GAME OF THRONES only one has ruled for seven years. That is crazy. Every new king seems to get dethroned one right after another. It's going to be strange seeing Anderson Silva come out first. Weidman's first fight was Feb. 20, 2009 and the last time Anderson was the challenger was against Chris Leben June 28, 2006 is all I'm saying.

Video: Chris Weidman: If Silva comes angry for UFC 168 rematch, my job is easier. It was more a radio interview.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...es-angry-for-ufc-168-rematch-my-job-is-easier

Based on the interview, what if Anderson did the same tactics again...haha...but...worked the second time around. That would be interesting.

#31 ·
Okami is a top fighter but he is a prime example of the mythical creature effect. In his title shot, Okami came in composed but after feeling Silva's power and timing he just wilted and gave in to Silva.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.