MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Ryan Bader vs. Glover Teixeira Thread

View Single Post

Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #98 (permalink)
Sports_Nerd
Featherweight

Sports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
Ok, a valid argument I am interested. Now the question is who on his list of who he has beaten adds to his momentum other than DW declaring him the next big thing at LHW? It's like the Matt Brown argument. I would love to see Matt Brown get a shot against GSP, and he has a massive momentum swing on him, but who on his list of victims says that he is a contender?

Please don't take this as me being a dick, I really do want to hear your argument. As far as I currently see it Tex has momentum solely through hype, but I am more than open to hear justification to how I am wrong.

Edit: No matter how I read it in my own head I think I sound like a dick in this post when I am trying not to be.
There's more to it than the bottom line of "who has he beat, and where were they ranked?"

He's faced a pretty good wrestler in Kingsbury, and crushed him. He outfought Kyle in every aspect.

He fought a very good Striker in Maldonado and outstruck him. Maldonado is not a complete fighter, and any decent LHW would be able to take him down and dominate him on the ground, but outboxing him is a different accomplishement, and Glover did that easily.

So he isn't just beating mediocre fighters by exploiting their weaknesses, but by beating them at their strengths.

He hit a quick submission on Te-Huna Not a huge accomplishment, but showing his well-roundedness and killer instinct.

His most imressive win is Bader, both in his opponent quality, and method of victory. he outlanded Bader most of the fight, and landed the only TD against another good wrestler. But the finish was spectacular. He got caught, backed up against the cage, which spells big trouble for most fighters, and within seconds had the composure to roll with a couple of hooks, wait for the next combination to come, slip the uppercut beautifully and throw a counter left-right combination that landed right on the numbers and put Bader on his back.

Such quick recovery and acumen in that position is astonishing. Glover is the real deal, and I reach that conclusion not by looking at who he's beaten, but by seeing how he's beaten them.
Sports_Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote