MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Demian Maia vs. Jake Shields Thread

View Single Post

Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
jonnyg4508
Ultra-weight

jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
Disagree. Who GSP finishes being the champion?
What Maia has been doing to strong grapplers at 170 is pretty impressive and if he ragdolls Shields he should be put to fight GSP right away (or JH, who knows?).

I want to see Maia vs GSP badly.

It is impressive in what he did to Fitch. But what I am talking about is to sell the thought that GSP has a real challenger, they are going to need a sub. Obviously Maia is a top notch BJJ players and if he can't sub GSP no one can (besides Matt Hughes). I'd love to see Maia vs. GSP should he sub or decision Shields. But a submission win here would really make it a big time fight. Grappling a slippery, athletic, wrestler like GSP is different than Fitch or Shields.

That is why I say it is odd that they matched these 2 up. Shields doens't have a lot of momentum as most believe he has failed to look as good as people expected in teh UFC. And a guy with his skillset, doesn't leave much openings for Maia to really finish the fight. You and me might love the idea of Maia/GSP. But Joe Public won't. Watching highlights of Maia have their backs for extended periods of time. 3 years ago Fitch/SHields wins would have held much more praise.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote