Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

I Gotta Problem Fellas!!

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  jdun11 
#1 ·
Lately in training, everytime i go for the shoot, ive been getting caught in a guillotine..Maybe not everytime but it happens alot, and it sucks cuz I either have to tap, or use all my energy to get out of it..Ive only been training bjj for like 3 months, so my ground game is basic..Im not terrible on the ground by any means, but Ive taking boxing for 4 years than kickboxing for 3..So Im def alot better on my feet..But im really tryin to be more well rounded, but this keeps happening when i shoot, so lately ive been avoiding it, and i dont wanna do that anymore..So if anybody else has had this problem, or has some advice id love to hear it

#2 ·
we'll seing how ive won all my fights on the ground and have done wrestling/submission wrestling for 6 years im pretty good at it.

The best way to avoid this is don't lead with your head as much, also start with shooting for a single leg then switch to a double once u gain control. Also don't be afraid to back out, if he sprawls before your all the way in and you don't even have a leg, twist your hips and back out.

Also when you go for a single leg take down start by shooting with one of your hands (should be the one lined up with his farthest leg). Keep it up around your chin therefor they can't counter ko you and they also can't get a clean choke.

If you have any other questions let me know, also let me know how it works out for ya.

#3 ·
WHat are we talking about? bjj or mma? (not that it makes much of a difference anyway.)
What shot are you shooting that you are getting caught on? I don't see how you can get caught to well if you simply shoot a single with your head on the inside of the leg.... ( you might want to consider learning a low single. basically just drop your level fire in at their shin and hit with your shoulder knocking them over)

#4 ·
When you shoot it, balance your neck by keeping it straight up. Try not to shoot in with your head into the person's stomach.

Also, if you want... You can just let the person take the guilloitine. Tuck your chin into your chest, and after they struggle to tap you out for about 15-20 seconds, pass their guard.

Might work.

#5 ·
I think this happens to me all the time cuz im training with guys alot bigger than me..im like 5'10 200..and my main training partner is like 6'3 245...So what happens is I try to stand there and strike with him, but i start to get picked apart..So thats when i shoot and he always seems to get me in a guillotine, but im not in his guard, im usually still on my feet..i think its so easy cuz he has alot of leverage on me..When im training with guys my own size it doesnt happen nearly as much..Do u think his size has has alot to do with it?

#6 ·
jdun11 said:
I think this happens to me all the time cuz im training with guys alot bigger than me..im like 5'10 200..and my main training partner is like 6'3 245...So what happens is I try to stand there and strike with him, but i start to get picked apart..So thats when i shoot and he always seems to get me in a guillotine, but im not in his guard, im usually still on my feet..i think its so easy cuz he has alot of leverage on me..When im training with guys my own size it doesnt happen nearly as much..Do u think his size has has alot to do with it?
Definitley. Size has a lot to do with it, but it is a bit reckless to get caught with a guilloutine when standing up.

#7 ·
Size does make a difference but I started training in BJJ for like a month now and I'm 5'7 225lbs. My main partner is my friend he is 6'0 240lbs. We have switched partners on occasion and I find it a lot better to train with some one bigger. I agree with SpitFire, go for a single leg then double up when you have control. I also have my first BJJ match on the 22nd. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Kameleon said:
Size does make a difference but I started training in BJJ for like a month now and I'm 5'7 225lbs. My main partner is my friend he is 6'0 240lbs. We have switched partners on occasion and I find it a lot better to train with some one bigger. I agree with SpitFire, go for a single leg then double up when you have control. I also have my first BJJ match on the 22nd. :thumbsup:
good luck. stay low to the ground and choke that sucker out!:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Kameleon said:
I'm hoping for an arm or knee bar. :cheeky4:
But I'll take the win anyway possible.
u have only been training for a month and ur alreaady having a match..im not ready for that yet..well i might be but i dont wanna lose cuz im not ready..cuz that will suck..so do u guys think i should train with someone my own size

#11 ·
jdun11 said:
u have only been training for a month and ur alreaady having a match..im not ready for that yet..well i might be but i dont wanna lose cuz im not ready..cuz that will suck..so do u guys think i should train with someone my own size
I asked for a match and my instructor told me ok. I don't care if I loose, I will most likely learn something in the process. I think you should keep training with a bigger opponent and someone who is a higher ranking than you.

#12 ·
Kameleon said:
I asked for a match and my instructor told me ok. I don't care if I loose, I will most likely learn something in the process. I think you should keep training with a bigger opponent and someone who is a higher ranking than you.
It's much different you know. You say you don't care if you lose now, but when the time comes, and if you do lose, you'll have a much different feeling about it.

#14 ·
ya i've been cleared to fight in my november Jiu Jitsu tourniment Seattle Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

anyways.. i should win even though i am a white belt in an open belt comp, i've done about 6 years of Submission Wrestling and about 2 years of jiu jitsu submissions with odds and ends gyms like Demon JJ.

Anyways man gl in yours i just got dignosed for "Chornic Apendacitis(sp?)"
So i have to watch my diet more and eat more fiber and drink more fluids. But the doc said i won't need surgery and if i keep my diet and weight training up i should be cleared.

#15 ·
Spit206Fire said:
ya i've been cleared to fight in my november Jiu Jitsu tourniment Seattle Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

anyways.. i should win even though i am a white belt in an open belt comp, i've done about 6 years of Submission Wrestling and about 2 years of jiu jitsu submissions with odds and ends gyms like Demon JJ.

Anyways man gl in yours i just got dignosed for "Chornic Apendacitis(sp?)"
So i have to watch my diet more and eat more fiber and drink more fluids. But the doc said i won't need surgery and if i keep my diet and weight training up i should be cleared.
Why don't you just get the thing removed man? You don't need it and you'll only be out for 6-8 weeks max. You should seriously consider getting that shit removed cuz if you go a while without getting x-rayed that thing can go bad at any time and rupture without warning and that's some fatal shit man. But I guess if your doctor doesn't seem too worried about it you might be ok. My dad almost died from his a couple years ago on Christmas eve. And one of my good friends in high school was told he only had 4 hours to live at one point during his rupture. I'm paranoid about that shit man haha. My grandma's brother died when he was 3 from it. I been thinking about getting mine removed just to be safe and to get some time off work haha.

#16 ·
Ya, i probably will have it taken out, just not now. I really wanna compete in this JJ tourni this November and i haven't been able to train let alone compete in the last year almost due to school and work. So now that i have the chance since i quit my job for college (went to community before, now university), i finally have the free time to practice, train, and compete.

So, i know to keep a close eye on it and i have alot of things i can do to keeping myself more healthy, plus the doctor said i have a 10% chance i might have a problem with it the rest of my life, but since i've gone through a apendicitis already it'll help me know i need to get to a hospital.

Things like eating a ton of fiber and drinkn alot of fluids is something i have to do though, i haven't dieted as good as i need to now in the past so.... ya i just need to keep it up.

#17 ·
i tried what you guys said and went for the single leg and than the double.. i went at him real low, like right belwo the knee..it took me lil bit to take him down cuz hes a big bastard, but i eventually took him down..i hope this works everytime..im just wondering ho whe'll counter it after i start doing it alot

#19 ·
the other thing i forgot to mention is when you shoot, don't shoot straight down because its WAY easy to sprawl. You wanna go low and burst up right as you start to grab the leg, he'll try and straighten his back real tall to push off and sprawl but if you do it right you should have so much upward progress that he falls straight back. Another thing to try is when you shot if you grab a single leg and hes just kinda real big and not moven put em in a knee bar, lock up his knee with the back of your forarm with your other arm and then swing your far leg in between his legs around his achilies/calf area and then the other legs right where your forearm is and lock your legs tight, you should be in perfect position for a standard knee bar, that is if he isn't flat sprawling, btw to make this work you can't let him really get ahold of your head, so do what i do, be quick lol.

#20 ·
How do you finish the single jdun? switch to a double. because if that's hard to get him down you can do what is called a "dump" just put you head against he single leg that is in the air and press down hard and rotate backwards making him land on his butt.

#21 ·
jdun11 said:
i tried what you guys said and went for the single leg and than the double.. i went at him real low, like right belwo the knee..it took me lil bit to take him down cuz hes a big bastard, but i eventually took him down..i hope this works everytime..im just wondering ho whe'll counter it after i start doing it alot
Remember to switch it up, shoot in with single leg on some occasions then switch to the double leg. Don't get too repeatative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.