Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

What is next for Munoz?

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  DonRifle 
#1 ·
So Munoz very much seemed to be a near future contender for the MW title. In fact I believe if he beat Weidman that was his title shot he would have had. So he goes from title contender to:

1) KO'ed by Weidman - now MW title holder so this doesn't really hurt his stock that much
2) Beat Boetsch by UD - meh
3) KO'ed by Machida - Lost to an unranked opponent at MW, but ranked at LHW. Not sure how this affects his ranking.

He clearly is a top 5 MW, but who can he string wins over to get a title shot? Where does he go from here? He is 35 already so just biding his time won't help him either.

So what is next for Munoz?

#4 ·
Agree, never seen him as a real contender. And not sure how he is a clear top 5 MW. Weidman, Anderson, Belfort, Machida, Jacare are the clear top 5 in my opinion. With guys like Bisping, Rockhold right there probably above him.

What is next is a guy like Consta. He tries to get better. He tries to put on exciting fights. Like anyone else. Not everyone can be a title contender/champion material. He will continue to put on fights and knock off dead weight.

#6 ·
As a slight debate with the OP, the only thing I disagree with is Munoz losing to Weidman didn't hurt his stock. It wasn't a close decision... he got laid out... and I just can't see that being a rematch anyone cares to see. I think Weidman going on to capture the title is the worst thing that could have happened to Mark.

I also think Munoz is the classic gatekeeper. He'll never contend with the top 5 on a regular basis, but can serve as a good measuring stick in the meantime.

#7 ·
I don't know... I still think he can come back and contend for a title. This was just a case of him facing the absolute worst match-up possible. Most of the rest of the division, I think he can beat. Hell, he would've had a better chance of beating Chris Weidman in a rematch than Lyoto Machida.

#9 ·
Munoz is still a solid fighter. He bounced back from adversity (and obesity), still finding his grounds against Boetsch and got put in front of a re-invented Lyoto Machida, one of the most intriguing fighters to compete in MMA.

The result was more than expected and although I don't think he'll ever wear gold, not only by champions UFC is made, so there are still plenty of fights he'll be able to compete for our entertainment.

#10 ·
Personally I have Munoz at #11 in MMA possibly #15 with LHW drop downs.

I could see five realistic options for him.

#1. Francis Carmont, Carmont needs a name on his resume. He's likely 2/3 fights away from a title shot, Munoz would be a good first test then a true top fiver for the next.

#2. Costa Philippou, likely the most evenly matched opponent in the sport for him right now and both are coming off loses ranked roughly in the same spot.

#3. Tim Kennedy, won't be a good fight but it could easily be the fourth fight on a big PPV.

#4. Kyle Kingsbury, go back to LHW with a guy that will just bang with you.

#5. Cung Le, TUF China needs another coach and Munoz is an Asian who is a great coach.

#11 ·
Clearly a top 5 MW? Im not so sure about that at all. As far as Im concerned he is a limited fighter with emotional issues. He will beat average fighters but nothing more then that. He should never have accepted the Machida fight. Machida chews up and spits out any wrestlers he faces

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.