MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Strength Training Help

View Single Post

Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
wukkadb
Das ▄bermensch

wukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatnesswukkadb Is Destined For Greatness
Nice post,a little hard to read but generally I agree with MOST of the stuff you're saying here. It's good to see someone else who realises the importance of compound lifts. Did you check out my thread on Strength Training? Here's a link:
http://www.mmaforum.com/strength-pow...-training.html

A lot of your stuff seems a little more 'bodybuilding' related, not strength training oriented. You have to realise that bodybuilding does not transition very well into sports, especially when you're doing isolation exercises and working on your "size" and "vascularity," and not your overall functional strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSteez
DIET
------
Quite simply, it's all about protein. To grow, you need protein, and lots of it. If you're not growing, assuming your training is effective (i.e. you're still gaining strength), then you're not eating enough protein. If you're 200lbs and want to get to 250lbs+, you need to eat like a 250lbs+ bodybuilder.

You get a lot of 160-180lbs fitness enthusiasts telling you that you don't need large amounts of protein to grow, but look at any seriously huge bodybuilder - the vast majority of them (if not all of them) are pounding down the protein.

Try it. Assuming you're around 200lbs and want to grow, shoot for 400g of protein a day and see what happens.

How do you eat that much protein? From as much whole food as possible, but let's face it, you're unlikely to be able to eat well over a kg of meat amongst other food without hitting the protein shakes. The main thing is to get the protein down you. If that means downing a protein shake with every meal to bump up your protein intake, then so be it.

What about fats and carbs? There are certain amounts of essential fats you need in your diet. These can be obtained from fish oils. As for essential carbs, there are none (arguably aside from post-workout.. see below). Eat carbs depending on your body type. A raging ectomorph will need more carbs than a carb-sensitive endomorph at the same protein level. Green veggies are useful for vitamins and minerals, but let's face it, when you're pounding down the protein, it can be hard to chow down on a ton of veggies too, so just hit a multi-vitamin if you prefer.

Water. Drink as much of it as you can. Keep a bottle of water with you whenever possible, and sip it all day long. Keeping hydrated at all times is vital.

Post-workout nutrition is imperative. You need protein and carbs as soon as possible after workout. The protein for muscle growth, and the carbs to replenish the glycogen depleted from your workout. An ideal ratio for a 200lbs bodybuilder is 60g of protein and 80g of fast-acting carbs (usually dextrose or maltodextrin). Adjust these quantities in the same ratios depending on your size.
I advise you to re-think this statement as well. Protein is very overrated and you will NOT gain size from protein! Carbs, fats, and CALORIES are what gain you size, not protein. Protein helps restore your muscles and build them, but it doesn't generally help you gain mass. If you really want to get big, you need to be macking over 4,000 calories a day, with lots of HEALTHY carbs and HEALTHY fats. I would suggest 1 gram of Protein per LB of BW then 3-4 grams of Healthy Carbs per LB of BW. The myth that protein is all you need to get big is retarded, and is backed by only bodybuilders. If you eat 400 grams of protein a day you won't want to train ever, you're going to feel shitty and be very tired. Vegetables, healthy fats, and carbohydates(healthy ones) are the most important things in your diet.

What a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
The power of Aleks, his small baby and pimp hardcore dogs has granted you useful insight, my friend.
wukkadb is offline   Reply With Quote