MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Questions From A Newbie

View Single Post

Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
EC_Raider_07
Punching Bag!

EC_Raider_07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I say if you're trying to lose weight, **** weight lifting. You can substitute it w/ body weight exercies (which will also help tone you out and build your endurance for BJJ.) Do lots of push ups, chin ups, leg squats, and core exercises. Make sure you stretch out before and after doing this.

You need to throw in some cardio. Most people don't start burning fat until about 45 minutes of moderate cardio workout. If you're cardio sucks, start out at a fast walk. Work up to jogging. Biking is also a good cardio work out, but you have to go longer/farther than jogging because it's easy to just coast. As before, make sure you stretch out before and after doing this.

As for diet, I wouldn't say cut your calories in half. That's stupid, because we don't know how many calories you're eating. However, I'm guessing you may need to work on your diet. When trying to lose weight, turn 3 large meals into 6 very small meals. Only eat one potion size (meat is about 8 oz.) This will help give you energy through the day and stop you from snacking on junk food. Stay away from all junk food and soda pop. All they are is empty calories. Drink a LOT of water. I'd recommend at least a gallon a day. Drink it with your meals. Stay away from Cheeze, it's a junk food. Use stuff like brocoli to replace any dairy you may be missing out on, or buy a vitamin to fill the void.

I'd pick up a protien shake suppliment if I were you. I like whey, because it digests into your system faster. However, I use soy in the morning when I first wake up. What I like to do is get fat free skim milk, throw in a banana and some soy protien. Mix it up in the blender and that can count as your first meal. (I like throwing oats in there. Real ones, not the Quaker Instant crap.)

For breakfast, I liked eating some roasted chicken I had as left overs. I'd also eat an orange/banana/apple, and a glass of skim milk.

As a mid-morning snack, eat something small. You can make another protien shake if you'd like, but you probably won't need it. Your body can only digest so many grams of protien at a time, so after a while it gets useless. I'd recomend eating some fruit and vegitables.

Then move on to lunch. You want to stay away from red meat and junk food as much as possible. Make lunch a fairly small meal. Eat something like fish or shrimp. Through some bread in there for carbs; You'll need them later for energy (when taking in bread, make sure it's WHOLE wheat. Take in stuff like Whole Wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, ect.)

A few hours after lunch, have a small snack. If you didn't drink a protien shake after breakfast for a snack, I'd recomend doing it now. If will help put some protien in your body for your work outs later in th day.

Next is dinner. Eat something similar to lunch.

Last is the before-bed snack. You'll want to probably eat some vegitables (fruits have natural sugars in them.)

Hope this helps, bro. It's pretty basic but you get the idea. Good luck in your BJJ and weight loss!

Last edited by EC_Raider_07 : 06-26-2007 at 06:47 AM.
EC_Raider_07 is offline   Reply With Quote