MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Escrima hand checking

View Single Post

Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
A lot of the trapping, chi sao, or sticky hands of silat or Wing Chun has very linear footwork (sometimes none at all). The difference with the Escrima checking techniques is that the block and accompanying check is usually accompanied by an adjustment in your lateral or circular placing in reference to your attacker.

Since the root of the art is weapons based, it doesn't do a person well to stay flat footed and trade with a stick or a blade (someone will get injured or die with that mentality). But if they back up too much, they will miss the chance to counter. The solution then would be to approach the opponent in an angle away from the weapon, control/check it to avoid the redonda or abaniko follow-up, and then to attack off of the now exposed side. Even when they start applying the Escrima basis to the empty-handed side (Panantukan - "boxing") of fighting, the checking and trapping is still accompanied by the footwork to create openings and angles.

When comparing the styles, that's really the big difference. You have probably seen this Chi Sao demonstration by Bruce Lee. He gets the guy a few times by stepping outside of his normal checks and hitting him from oblique angles. This was more of a demonstration of Bruce's Theories of JKD and the principles he put together (i.e. Passive Indirect Attack, Attack by Drawing, etc) through the synthesis of his studies and not just a Chi Sao contest.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote