Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Iron Chin's

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  EC_Raider_07 
#1 ·
Some fighters have it, some don't...Chuck Liddell (definitely an Iron Chin!)

So guys, what do you think...

Can you teach someone how to take a punch, or is it completely "natural"?

#2 ·
beat the sh!t out of yourself everyday and smack mugs against your chin. and if you don't get a conconsion do it again.

#3 ·
yeah i think we need a serious discussion on this, im trying to get into mma at the moment, i do jujitsu and submission wrestling, at an mma team gym.
But i often wonder if i can take a punch. Right now we spar with 14 oz boxing gloves, and i just tell my girlfriend to punch me as hard as she can with 10 oz sparring mitts just to ease me in, so to speak.

any use?? what do u think??

i am concerned about long term damage through this training, eg: whats the use of battering yourself everyday in training, only to get finished off when the big fight comes.

#6 ·
I think you either have one or don't. I realised I had one when I was sucker punched in the side of the head with a knuckle duster which broke a bone in my face, knocked my jaw outta place, broke my nose and completely closed my left eye. Stayed on my feet.
A strong neck must help, but I have always had one.

#7 ·
TheNegation said:
I think you either have one or don't. I realised I had one when I was sucker punched in the side of the head with a knuckle duster which broke a bone in my face, knocked my jaw outta place, broke my nose and completely closed my left eye. Stayed on my feet.
A strong neck must help, but I have always had one.

Maybe you have strong chin but the rest of your head isn't very good. :D

#9 ·
I don't know exactly if this is a *anti knockout exercise* or even what it's for but before we start sparring we do in Muay Thai something that's called *jaws* we put our fists underneath our chin in a V shape and we push upward while opening our mouth.It's all about resistance. We usually do 2 sets of 25 or 30

I don't know exactly what it is for but i will assume it;s for improving jaw strength. I have taken a few nasty punches to my jaw during sparring matches but have yet to be knocked out. As for kicks i always block the head kicks so i don't know if one will knock me out yet. I'll ask y instructor on saturday what it's for and post it here if i remember.

#11 ·
Recovery and havin an iron chin are two different things. Cabbage has an iron chin cos you can smash it all day and he wont get dazed or wobbly. Rich Franklin has good recovery as he will get rocked, dropped to the foor but get straight back up and fight at a high level. Recovery is more due to cardio, havin an iron chin is natural. You can make slight improvements by strengthening your neck but thats about it. There are excercises that teach you how to take a punch however. Theres 1 i like to do which seems to be quite effective. Get someone to really slowly throw a punch at you, straights, jabs, hooks, uppercuts, overhands, the lot (Do each seperatly until you get good though. When the punch is just about to hit you start movin your head to go with the punch (move your head in the same direction as the punch). Keep doing this and increase the speed slowly as you go. This is different from learning how to avoid punches and is more about teaching you to lessen the force of a punch which you cannot avoid.

#13 ·
I realised I had one when I was sucker punched in the side of the head with a knuckle duster which broke a bone in my face, knocked my jaw outta place, broke my nose and completely closed my left eye. Stayed on my feet.
Holy crap, what did you do to deserve that?? :eek: (sorry for going off-topic...I really have nothing new to add to the convo, lol)

#14 ·
Trainee said:
Holy crap, what did you do to deserve that?? :eek: (sorry for going off-topic...I really have nothing new to add to the convo, lol)
Some scumbags came up to rob my phone and I wouldn't give it. I concentrated my defence on one guy(the biggest) and paid for it. Not my proudest moment.

#19 ·
A strong chin is pretty much based on genetics. If you could just make your chin stronger, wouldn't Klitscho done it by now? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.