Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Does Stephen Thompson still have "Hype" behind him??

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  MMATycoon 
#1 ·
I was looking through the fight card and i noticed the name Stephen Thompson and i knew it sounded familiar to me but i forgot who he was. Then when i looked his record up on sherdog i remembered EXACTLY who he was. When he got signed to the UFC i remember plenty of people hyping the guy and expecting huge things from his striking in the UFC. And he didnt disappoint...

In his UFC debute he had a really cool Headkick KO

Then literally 2 months and 17 days later he was back in there squaring off with Matt Brown.

Matt Brown was able to repeatably take Thompson down using his wrestling and Brown went on to earn a Decision victory. In the second round Thompson was able to put his combos together and rocked Brown but then Brown was able to catch Thompson and rock him back.

After that fight i have not seen anyone mention Stephen anymore. Im guilty of it myself as he completely fell off the grid for me.

He had 2 fights after that winning both of them and his most recent fight with Rich Clements ended with a second round tko.

He is scheduled to face Robert Whittaker tomorrow at UFC 170.

So what do you guys say is there still hype?? Has anyone been following his career this whole time and been looking forward to seeing him tomorrow?? Or has he just gotten lost in the masses and his hype died off??

For anyone that does not remember this is why the guy had some hype behind him when he signed.

In amateur kickboxing, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson was 37-0. As a pro kickboxer, 20-0. As a professional mixed martial artist, he's 5-0 so far. That's 62 straight fights without a loss. 46 via KO

"Bonus Gif"

I was looking for those gifs so i can post them for you guys and while doing that i came accross this little awesome Gif so i decided to share it too since its so cool it reminds me of Anderson Silva a bit.

Enjoy

See less See more
#2 ·
I think robert beats him bad tomorrow although interestingly enough both are tristar boys. The problem he has is a bad bottom game, suspect cardio and mediocre boxing, but he is light on the feet and has a lot of funky kicks and when fresh he can avoid getting hit decently.

Reactions: SideWays222
#4 ·
His standup is something else, but he is terribly one dimensional. Matt Brown dominated him on the ground, and he isn't exactly a grappling guru himself.

Hopefully he shows some improvement because his kick boxing really is impressive. Whittaker will be a good test for him to see if he has made any improvements because Whittaker isn't great, but he is competent and is somewhat rounded from what I've seen. Of course if its all standup though, it won't tell us much.

#6 ·
I'm still on the wonderboy rainbow train :)) !
Kid is talented and I love fighters like him who accomplished a lot in martial arts and then fights in UFC

abou the bonus gif: You can see that Gus was a Boxer ! the head movement and way faster than Bones

#8 ·
Wonderboy is a great talent and a brilliant striker. His fight with Brown was tough, but Brown is on a huge tear at the moment, so it's not that big of a deal for a UFC newcomer to lose to a veteran like The Immortal. I think that Thompson will be one of the big names at Welterweight in the near future and he will continue to impress.

#12 ·
Thompson's striking is a unique challenge to anyone who can not avoid it. He certainly has a style I imagine will put him on the fast track to better things, but WW is deep and has many sharks. He has some tough matchups of his own on the horizon.

Whittikar is not bad, but he wasn't ready for this tonight. I think he has a high upside, but being at this level in the UFC this fast might be detrimental to his near term development. He needs a lot of polish still.

#20 ·
Blackzillians have turned it around since reem pissed off, he was toxic according to rumble johnson, also guillar dis gone too an dhe is poison

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.