MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Muay Thai or TKD

View Single Post

Old 07-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #88 (permalink)
SurfNinja
totally gnarly
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

SurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For GreatnessSurfNinja Is Destined For Greatness
I used to take TKD as a kid and I hated it, but saying it's useless and a shitty martial art is not giving it enough credit.

The reason people think it's shitty is because they see the "sport" version of it (like the one I took). However, "real" TKD like old-school styles are very different. My Muay Thai trainer is a black belt in TKD from an old-school dojo, and he said most of the masters were scarred up and badass fighters who did full-contact training. Hell, I've seen some middle-aged ladies at my gym do a "sport" version of Muay Thai for the cardio, so someone could get the wrong impression of MT if they watched them.

That being said, I personally like Muay Thai better because it teaches very effective punch/kick/knee/elbow combos, it's fun as hell (especially when taking classes with friends), and you don't have to memorize forms to pass tests. God I hated that in TKD.
SurfNinja is offline   Reply With Quote