MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - BP's MMA Boxing Workout

View Single Post

Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
brownpimp88
SugaRUSH!

brownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level now
BP's MMA Boxing Workout

This is my routine for my boxing. I was once a traditional boxer, but I am now adapting my boxing workouts for MMA.

Warm-up (3 - 5 Rounds of Skipping) - I don't skip that much as I already get enough Cardio in with the rest of my training, this is just to get my muscles loose.

Shadow Boxing (2 Rounds) - I don't really like Shadow Boxing, but I do it just to get my arms loose and to sharpen up my punches. If I ever get told to work on my crispness, I would shadow box some more.

Reflex Bag (3 -5 Rounds) - Before hitting the pads with my trainer, I usually try and get a few rounds in on the Reflex Bag. With this, I am able to work on the accuracy and timing of my punches, as well as anticipating counters. This also gets my feet moving some more and me ready to hit the pads.

Pad Work w/ trainer (3-5 Rounds) - I will get in as many that are suitable to my trainer. I will work on footwork, countering, blocking punches, landing punches and much much more in the ring. Typical pad work. I work ALOT on counters, as that is one thing that a boxer moving to MMA will have an advantage with. Ask the trainer to work a lot more on counters, and that way you can pick apart wild strikers.

Bag Work (5-7 Rounds) - I usually go quite crazy on the heavy bags, working on my power, punching technique and movement. I focus on this a lot, as I noticed it helps me with my MMA Striking. Bag work will include Heavy Bags, Uppercut Bags and Body Bags. If I have enough time, I will do 2 or more rounds of just jabbing, to keep my jab strong. I try to focus on throwing combinations that can translate well to MMA, or where I know I have opening for throwing kicks/knees as well. Try throwing shorter combinations, hooks and overhands, as those are very effective in MMA.

Speed Bag (2-3 Rounds) - For me the speed bag is a bit of a break, and a way to keep my hand-speed and hand-eye coordination up to par.

Reflex Bag (2-3 Rounds) - I will once again work the reflex bag, to keep my punches well aimed and to anticapate an opponent.

Shadow Boxing (2 rounds) - Finish up with some more Shadow Boxing to sharpen up everything you have learned that day, as well as look for ways you can incoorperate it into your MMA stand up.

If you have an open area or mats, try doing the High Knees/Sprawls or the Punch Combinations/Sprawls to cap it off.

A nice, light, more technique based work out for MMA fighters to get a good boxing run.

This is my first time writing something of this nature, and I know I sucked at explaining it. Hope you guys enjoy this.

brownpimp88 is offline   Reply With Quote