Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

I want to lose my beer gut!!

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  swpthleg 
#1 ·
What is the best way to lose weight on the belly, ive started getting a bit of a beer gut and i want get back into shape. Ive heard skipping is good, anything else?

Any advice will be appreciated.

#2 ·
I was always a heavy kid until I started running/lifting/eating good. If you were to run every other day for a month or so, for at least 20-30mins you would see a noticable difference. It's well worth it:thumbsup: Just make yourself sweat. Once it starts coming off it gets addicting

#4 ·
I saw this in a university study on the internet. If you walk as far as somebody runs the walker lose about the same amount of calories or more probably for the reason the walker takes more time to get there. When you think about it, it is probably true, because it takes a runner about 6:30 to do a mile and a walker 12-15 minutes.

#6 ·
BJJ Boy said:
Yea.. but it would take a long time to jog from 5 mins to 20-30... a VERY long time.
No it wouldn't. My friend started by running 10 minutes at a time, and he added a minute every single day, and had no trouble at all.

#7 ·
Your Diet is even more important than running but cardio is very important. If you run 3 times a week it will come off pretty quickly. In 2 months you will see a big difference. I try to mix it up, one day jog, another bike ride, another do sprints. It makes it a little less awful.

#9 ·
BJJ Boy said:
I run around my block 2 times like every 3 days or so, first time took me 7:10 and my best time is 6:20... ive been doing it for like 3months. So i only increased like 50 seconds.

SO you can only imagine it taking like 2months+ to get from 5mins to 20mins. Not even talking about 30.
Increasing your time and increasing the distance are two totally different things.

Edit: Diet is overrated. Cardio all the way.

#11 ·
BJJ Boy said:
20-30mins per run?

No way.. especially some one with bad cardio. Most people cant run past over weight people cant run passed 5mins.
20-30 is low end to me. of course you have to work your way up to it just like with any other exercise. until i reached that time length of running i didnt notice a good loss of bodyfat. running around the block is a waste if you ask me, you have to sweat your butt off and work hard at it

#12 ·
absolutely. there is no point in cardio UNLESS you sweat hard and work to push your limits. if yr. trying to lose weight, lifting will help you of course, but cardio should be your primary focus. Don't screw around with worthless nonaerobic crap like yoga, pilates, etc. I see way too many obese women who rely on this sh!t for their only workout and wonder why they don't lose weight.

Not that guys usually fall for that pilates-works-you-out bullsh!t. I know babalu does yoga once a week (supposedly) but he also does insane hill runs along with all his pad work, grappling & striking etc.

#13 ·
start doing BJJ or Submission Grappling. A large over weight guy who joined me and my friends grappling about 8 monthes ago who was around 280 pound has lost around 23 pounds just grappling, lifting and eating right.

Just get some mat time in and do some grappling and you'll lose weight quick. I wouldn't recommend running extensively especially if you are overweight because it can do a huge number on your joints.

BTW I actually don't train at a camp or school anymore. I train with 6 of the guys that were in my original Muay Thai and BJJ classes, and got them to come train with me and we use this 3 story storage barn for training.

Sometimes it can get really hot in there (around 95-100 degrees during the summer)

You'll lose a lot of weight quick trust me.

#20 ·
BJJ Boy said:
20-30mins per run?

No way.. especially some one with bad cardio. Most people cant run past over weight people cant run passed 5mins.
My brother is a freak of nature... he's a lifetime alcoholic, and has a HUGE beer gut. He's at least 50 pounds overweight. And he has cardio like crazy. He's been sponsored on some of the pro cycling teams around here, he's that good. If he *doesn't* do at least 20 or 30 miles a day, he doesn't feel right.

Looking at him on a bike is pretty funny. Big, heavy-gutted dude with a red face and a swollen nose from the lifetime of heavy boozing... putting people to shame on long uphills.

Some people just have big, huge hearts and big arteries. Some people just have smaller hearts, or smaller arteries. I know a person who did 40 minutes per day of cardio for years, but never got anywhere significant. It turns out that her aortic root (where your aorta attaches to your heart) is only about half the size that it would normally be.

Then you get someone like Randy Couture... that at 185 pounds weigh-in (probably 200 fighting) can keep it coming the entire time.

#21 ·
swpthleg said:
u know people in the first stage of the south beach diet are called south bitch right? b/c not eating any simple carbs makes us cranky
I listened to an interview with a lady who lived in the Biosphere II. She talked about the diet, and the dude who did all of the research into reduced-calorie diets handled their nutrition. He had found that if you gave animals complete nutrition, but gave them REALLY reduced caloric intakes, they lived a LOT longer.

So that's how they ate in the biosphere, partly for health, partly because they were running out of food. And she said that every one of them were just surly, mean, angry, and bitchy 24 hours a day because of it...

#22 ·
BJJ Boy said:
I run around my block 2 times like every 3 days or so, first time took me 7:10 and my best time is 6:20... ive been doing it for like 3months. So i only increased like 50 seconds.

SO you can only imagine it taking like 2months+ to get from 5mins to 20mins. Not even talking about 30.
Getting faster at a certain distance is very different from running at the same pace for a longer amount of time...

#24 ·
Gluteal Cleft said:
I listened to an interview with a lady who lived in the Biosphere II. She talked about the diet, and the dude who did all of the research into reduced-calorie diets handled their nutrition. He had found that if you gave animals complete nutrition, but gave them REALLY reduced caloric intakes, they lived a LOT longer.

So that's how they ate in the biosphere, partly for health, partly because they were running out of food. And she said that every one of them were just surly, mean, angry, and bitchy 24 hours a day because of it...
see? the animals lived longer but they were probably miserable.

in women especially, there is a positive correlation between (simple) carb intake and serotonin levels. That is to say that a woman who is kinda crabby should not do south b!tch or atkins b/c she'll get very very b!tchy.

that's why donuts make us happy

#25 ·
BJJ Boy said:
20-30mins per run?

A friend of mine who weighs 320lbs who hadn't exercised in months said he wanted to start jogging and he just came with me on tuesday. He jogged 32min and about 4 miles before he had to rest. granted we didnt go fast just a moderate jog he handled it very well for someone his size who smokes.

I think if your morbidly out of shape maybe start at 20mins of jogging or maybe 30min of walking if thats to much.

#26 ·
swpthleg said:
see? the animals lived longer but they were probably miserable.

in women especially, there is a positive correlation between (simple) carb intake and serotonin levels. That is to say that a woman who is kinda crabby should not do south b!tch or atkins b/c she'll get very very b!tchy.

that's why donuts make us happy
Shoot, forget women, *I* get bitchy if I haven't had some sugar in four or five hours... I keep trying to quit soda, but without it, I get really bad in a couple of days. Even with diet soda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.