Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

What MMA Mats/ Surfaces would you guys recommend?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Black_Aikido 
#1 ·
Me and my friends training place only has 5 individual mats for grappling. We are planning on expanding the amount of space we have to train and I need some suggestions on what kind of surface brand to go with. Dollamur, Zebra any suggestions??

#2 ·
southpaw447 said:
Me and my friends training place only has 5 individual mats for grappling. We are planning on expanding the amount of space we have to train and I need some suggestions on what kind of surface brand to go with. Dollamur, Zebra any suggestions??

if i had the space and cash i would go with tatami, if done correctly with the wood boarder it will never slide, gap, slip or space. i would also pad the walls too.

#3 ·
BJJ Boy said:
I would go with these ones:

Since they all conect they never slide, and their very easy to move on and it doesnt hurt that much when you land on them, also put the on the side of the walls.

i walked into a bjj dojo with these wearing a white gi and walked out wearing a red gi.... another thing was nobody could take any throws on these except the other judo guys.

#4 ·
BJJ Boy said:
If you read i said black ones.. Or even better, white ones...
And they actually dont hurt if you break fall, we have these at our place and im 14 and never been hurt off one...

i'm sorry did not read where you said the black ones.. or white ones either..... i have never seen the white ones.

if you breakfall on a crash mat when a good judoka throws you it hurts (when he uses proper impact control) even with proper ukemi.

i threw a couple guys in bjj class on these mats and most strictly bjj guys in class don't want to start standing, because i'm knocking the wind out. so i now just go light on the feet, and they all want to work takedowns.

#6 ·
we have those mats in my class and they arent that bad with takedowns. though you could stack them double if it is right?

#8 ·
kishiro said:
BJJ Boy said:
i put in buy black ones so they dont look like their for kids,
i don't think that blue and red mats look like they are for kids, neither do they at the olympic level

http://www.nocafghanistan.com/judo_dateien/00_stadium_1.jpg

yes but thats not blue and red Checkered. but anyway you should put White in case you train with Gi or even just on the chance you might practice or get challenged by an outsider who wears a gi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.