MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Sex before a fight?

View Single Post

Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus
I was wondering if having sex even a week before you know your going to be fighting someone has a negative effect on a guys performance?

what do you guys think? how long should u abstain from sex before a fight?
This is an interesting idea. For those of you who have seen Choke, Rickson Gracie abstains for something like 2 weeks. My understanding (as I've heard from a couple of high school wrestlers) is that it makes you want to kill someone.

Remember that this is changing your mental state through manipulating your hormone levels. It's all about the state of mind that you want to have during the fight. Some guys like to be angry and like to be aggressive.

Feeling like you want to tear the other guys head off (after all, he's the reason why you didn't get any for all that time) has it's advantage, but I find that when I let my hormones and my endorphine levels control me, when I cave in and let my emotions run a fight, I get sloppy and stupid.

Personally, I don't want to deprive myself of something that was typical for me because I don't like the idea of changing my hormone levels leading up to a fight. That isn't to say that sexual activity immediately before fight is healthy, so maybe take two days before when you are cutting weight and thinking about the fight, but don't allow the hormones to build up over long periods of time.

The body is like a machine, and last thing that I ever want to do is change the mechanics of that machine at the last minute. If it has been working for me in the gym, I want to maintain that hormone level and that adrenaline level through the fight.

Does having sex have a negative effect on your performance? Only if you need that hormone buildup to perform at your best.

How long should you abstain for? That's up to you. I usually take 3 or 4 days where I'm just focussed on the fight, and not distracting myself with :cough: physical needs. That's just me, though.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote