MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Spiritulism in the Martial Arts

View Single Post

Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
One thing about MA in general, is that through discipline it teaches those that practice it the need not to practice it in a wanton fashion. Some of the most reserved non-violent people I've met have practiced MA for years upon years. In fact, the old Kanji characters used to spell out Martial Arts are actually 2 characters that individually stand for "Violence" and "Stop." In essence, the spiritual theme behind a lot of MA is to equip oneself to "stop violence."

However, I believe a lot of the specific practicing philosophies behind the various styles of MA tend to differ from art-to-art. This comes about many times from differences in the viewpoints of the styles creator.

According to Jigoro Kano (the founder of modern Judo) the underlying theme of Judo was "maximum effeciency." This would not only be practiced within the confines of the dojo, but in one's personal life by knowing when to give way or push, when to initiate an action and to follow that action through until your goal is achieved, and not to do things into excess. Kano also wanted to create an art that would influence not only the physical well-being of his nation, but also influence their social well-being as well.

In contrast Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do (way of the intercepting fist) emphasizes the need to be proactive and adaptable. All obstacles/issues should be resolved trough taking the initiative and adapting to the chaotic scenario that could follow. It was most literally demonstrated in the way that he had wrote, "If you see someone come to punch you, smash them first" and continues fully with how he emphasized to "be like water... able to take any shape or form." In his creation of the style, he strove to create a complete MA that was fully adaptable to all styles of combat.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote