Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Gonzaga was extremely nervous

2K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  Fedor>all 
#1 ·
No, this is not a thread trying to make excuses for Gonzaga's loss to Couture. Couture won because of pure skill, intelligence, and dedication. My BJJ instructor (Gonzaga's original instructor in Brazil) went to be with Napao in Vegas before the fight. According to him, Gonzaga was acting very nervous before his fight, even though he seemed to be calm during the entrance and he should have been brimming with confidence after the Cro Cop knockout. Hopefully in the future Gonzaga can get over this for other title shots.

#27 ·
You know this Fedor is god thing is getting a bit much for me. All Fedor's opponents other than Big Nog and Crocop, were either not highly rated fighters or fighters well past there prime. All of Couture's fights were against fighters at their peak so just looking at their records of 16-8 and 23-1 doesn't mean anything other than Fedor hasn't lost yet. There's just no way you could predict the outcome of Couture vs Fedor. I think it's pretty even, and in the Octagon Couture would have the slight advantage of far more UFC rules and octagon experience and having the crowd and the organisation behind him.

#28 ·
Fedor>all said:
I still think that if the broken nose hadn't happened so early in the fight, it could have gone a completely different direction. I hope that Gonzaga gets a rematch, because people are jumping his bandwagon too quickly and he really is a talented HW.

PS: Randy's good but he's no Fedor.
Yah its hard to believe how people will jump off the bandwagon after a loss since Gonzaga is still a great fighter. Regardless i figured couture would win and bet on him since well who the hell doesn't just love couture? lol

Anyways hopefully Gonzaga comes back strong i figured he would be nervous anyways who the hell wouldn't be nervous going after couture? with how most of the fight went though i think even without that broken nose couture would have beat him though but hey maybe Gonzaga will work his way back up and hopefully couture is still the champion to have a Gonzaga/Couture 2

#31 ·
He didn't look so much nervous as he looked confused. I really didn't expect Randy to come with the classic push against the fence and dirty boxing plan like he did. Its pretty clear Gonzaga didn't expect it either, he had no answer for the game plan and lost as a result.
Gonzaga had a dangerous stand up game, and same with his ground game... Couture took it to him at his weak spot and won.
Randy has made his living exploiting the weaknesses of his opponents, put him against a guy like Fedor, who has no weaknesses, and I don't think he'd be able to do much.

#32 ·
pxpxpunx said:
ide be nervous if i was fighting the greatest fighter of all time too.

and yes couture is the greatest fighter of all time, i dont care how many people have a hard on for fedor.

Oh I have a raging hard-on for fedor. i mean my gf is jealous... but no one can honestly say couture isnt a beast.. a true legend, the greatest MMA champion.

Im hoping they will throw fedor into the ring with couture IMMEDIATELY so fedor will be nervous, he'll feel out of place, he'll e unfocused, and he'll lose. randy beating fedor as HW champ then retiring is the best ending to a career i can imagine. his greatest will never be doubted future MMA fans will know his name, people will end their prayers in coutures name i pray amen, and all will be right in the world.

#33 ·
The 23 Enigma said:
You're cool with me for having Matt Serra in your avi, but c'mon, man. All of Fedor's fights looked easy? His PRIDE debut didn't look easy. He couldn't finish Schilt. If he had, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt.

That being said though, I won't take anything from Fedor. He's very, very good. I just don't like him staying away from UFC. No *****? Give me a break. I gurantee his UFC paycheck would have him lining happily at home, maybe coaching some new ***** guys. Suck it up.
It's not JUST about money, it's national pride. It's like a soccer player being offered the chance to make millions for a large club or getting to captain their national team in the world cup. Fedor's already made a piss-load of cash from his fights in Pride, Bodog, etc. Money isn't as much of an issue for him as it used to be.

That said, I hope Fedor comes and shows the UFC what real ground and pound is.

#34 ·
xeberus said:
Oh I have a raging hard-on for fedor. i mean my gf is jealous... but no one can honestly say couture isnt a beast.. a true legend, the greatest MMA champion.
A beast? Yes. A legend? Yes. Greatest MMA champion? I can honestly say no.

xeberus said:
Im hoping they will throw fedor into the ring with couture IMMEDIATELY so fedor will be nervous, he'll feel out of place, he'll e unfocused, and he'll lose. randy beating fedor as HW champ then retiring is the best ending to a career i can imagine. his greatest will never be doubted future MMA fans will know his name, people will end their prayers in coutures name i pray amen, and all will be right in the world.
Randy Couture is a phenom at 44 yes, but Fedor is 31 and his skills are just beyond anyone in the sport. Fedor isn't a Tim Sylvia, he brings it to finish it EVERY time. The only chance Randy has is cutting Fedor early and holding on for dear life until the referee makes a doctor look at it.

I'm not trying to be a nuthugger here, I'm simply being a realist.

#36 · (Edited)
Randy's a phenom for his age, Fedor is a phenom because of what he's accomplished sinced his inception in MMA.

In 27 fights:

17 have ended in the 1st round.
14 Wins via submission.
6 T/KOs
7 Unanimous Decisions.
1 Loss. (due to a cut early from an illegal blow in a tournament where a victor was necessary.)
1 No contest.

Undefeated in Pride FC since June 23rd, 2002 (Over 5 YEARS!!)

Big names defeated:

-Mark Coleman x2 (former Heavyweight Pride Grand Prix Champ)

-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira x2 (former HW Pride Champ, ranked #3 HW in the world)

-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filopovic (OWGP Champ, ranked #2 HW in the world)

-Mark Hunt (Top 10 HW ranked fighter)

-Ricardo Arona (Top 10 Ranked LHW fighter)

-Kevin Randleman (former UFC Champ)

-Matt Lindland (Ranked #2 MW in the world).

Others:
-Renato Babalu Sobral, Gary Goodridge, etc.

Fedor's achieved THIS much and he's only 31 years of age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.