Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Strength & Power Training

63K views 75 replies 36 participants last post by  Curious1 
#1 · (Edited)
First and foremost, this thread was created by me to share information and hopefully enlighten some souls, please don't take it personally like I'm shoving it down your throat. You can disagree if you want but all of my thread is backed by evidence/links.

I feel the need to enlighten the many who are unaware of how to properly train for STRENGTH and POWER in regards to MMA/Martial Arts. It seems that a lot of people are stuck in the bodybuilding type routines, which is fine and dandy if you're into bodybuilding, but it doesn't transition or apply very well to martial arts. First off, let me point out some of the essential basics:

#1) You should not ever have a day where you are working out your biceps (example: "Oh yeah, today is biceps and triceps!" <--No.)
#2) Isolation exercises are BAD!!
#3) Looking big/cut does not equal being strong
#4) If you're doing crunches to get a 6-pack, you're gay
#5) You NEED to be doing squats, overhead presses, deadlifts, dips, and pull-ups.
#6) No more calf raises, leg extensions, or hamstring curls.

Now, here are a couple EXAMPLES of ways to split up your workout (these routines are primarily aimed at getting STRONGER, having a better core, and developing your posterior chain)

Example 1: 3 day Split
This is the current split I do, and is broken into a PULL day, a PRESS day, and a SQUAT day.

example Pull Day:
Deadlifts: 5x3
*5x3 means doing 5 sets of 3 reps, make sure the weight is heavy.

Wide grip pullups: BWx3x5
*Work your way up with these then start adding weight onto your pullups

Bent Over Rows:
135x3x5

Some other excercises you can do on your pull day are: Zercher deadlifts, shrugs, reverse curls, hammer curls, wrist curls, Z and chin ups.

example Press Day:

Bench Press:5x5

Overhead Press/PushPress:95x1x8
125x1x4
135x1x2
125x1x4

Dips:BWx3x10
*Just like pull-ups, you can use the weight belt for dips as you get stronger

Close Grip Bench:4x4

Other exercises you can use for press day: cleans, skullcrushers, decline DB bench, incline DB bench, push press, seated weighted bench dips

example Squat Day:
Full Squats:5x5

Front Squats:135x1x8
185x1x6
205x1x3
185x1x5

Overhead Squats:95x2x8
115x1x5

Dumbell snatches:55x2x6

other exercises you can do on squat day: lunges, lateral lunges, zercher squats, parallel squats, barbell snatches

Example 2: 2 day split

Day one:
Deadlift:5x5

Overhead press:5x5

Weighted pullup/chinup:same as before

Day two:
Squat:5x5

Benchpress:5x5

Bent over row:same as before

**All of these numbers are made up and imaginary, but are just giving you an example of what kind of weight incriments/reps you should be doing. Also, you can mixup using the 5x5 on squats,deadlifts,bench press. Another good way to do those exercises is start light, do a set of 10, then do 2-3 more sets of heavy weights with reps under 5. You can also work your way up in a pyramid type pattern, such as 4 sets of 8,6,4,2, with the weight increasing each set.

Other helpful links:

DeFranco's Training - Westside for Skinny Bastards A modified lifting program for "Hardgainers"

Eclipse Gym :: View topic - Bill Starr 5x5 Primer - How to create your own 5x5 program

Super Squats 20 Rep Squat Routine

RossTraining - Articles

Mixed Martial Arts Training Interview - The Science of Total Training

Power Training Exercises

Development of elastic strength through the use of plyometrics

ExRx Exercise & Muscle Directory

Other notes: Make sure you're still working out you're abs as well. A lot of these exercises work your core immensely already but seated weight decline situps, russian twists, saxon bends, and leg raises are just an example of some other exercises you can do on your non-lifting days. Make sure you're not doing lots of rolling on heavy deadlift days , and make sure you give yourself enough rest. Some people can do the 3 day split Mon-Wed-Fri and still train, for others its over-training. I know most people won't think anything of this article but hopefully I opened SOME peoples eyes to what strength and power training is all about.

See less See more
#54 ·
Hey im just readin some stuff that jsut looks f*kin crazy... i went to that bill starr's 5x5 routine that wukka linked. it looks good im gonna start.
but i was readin http://www.eclipsegym.com/articles/men.html and he says NOT to stretch before you do weights because it causes the muscles to weaken slightly and make them prone to injury. i mean, this guy sounds like he really knows what he's doing but this is the opposite of what i've been told since i can remember.. any thoughts?

OH ya! and another thing, he says to hold your breath during the rep, and then take a breath when u stop for the next rep... comming from a martial arts background, we were taught to exhale with the force. his explanation is that the internal pressure supports your structure, especially the spine.... again, anybody care to comment on this stuff

#55 ·
hey i was just wondering if this workout is ok? i just made it and have been mixing it up but this is what i'm doing tonight, some insight would be nice
3 sets of widegrip pullups
3 sets of dips
3 sets of deadliftsx10
bentover one armed row each hand 3sets x10
3 sets of bicepcurls with a barbell, 3sets 5x
skullcrushers 3sets x5
shoulderpress 3sets x8
and i end it with some dumbell bicep curls and skullcrushers with dumbbells or alternate wtih chinups or pushups
and at the end i just do a plank for a bit.

i get this all done between an hour or so

edit:
i also switch up the shoulderpress wtiht hat excercise where your standingup with the barbell and you pull it up i can't remember the name but yeah :

#57 ·
I don't have a barbell, but I do own an EZ curl bar, can I use that to do deadlifts? And I use dumbbells to bench press, can I also do squats with them? I know it probably isn't optimal but I'm not training for anything serious, just a little pick-me-up for a surf vacation in January. I keep reading wukka say how squats and deadlifts are the most important exercises, so I was thinking even doing lame ones is better than nothing at all.

#61 ·
I liked a lot of this post in theory, if not--for me--in application. There was a great logical progression to all of it, but I neglected to see anything about isometric workouts for strength building. I know for a fact that isometrics work because I've been doing them for years. I mean. I'm 202 lbs and can bench over three hundred and my day to day workout is almost excusively isometric. :thumbsup:

That's not to say that the workouts presented within this post aren't good. They're in fact well thought out and organized as well as likely really effective, but I would have enjoyed another kind of workout mentioned a bit. :(

#64 ·
Most people dont realize that they need to work on their relative strength before they should ever touch a weight. Because if they work on their R>S they will be able to move more weight during there strength session.

Also if your relative is higher you will be able to move your own bodyweight faster, making you a better overall athlete.

#65 ·
I am not well versed in training, but for me circut training works great as an areobic/cardio workout. Lower the weight, 30 reps a set, one to two excercises per body part. Max rest is 30 secs (moving between excercises in gym). I also do some plyometric excercises at home to elevate heart rate. Jumping rope is great as well as power bands. I am a big boy and am down to 375, I'm 6'5" luckily. I was well over four hundred. I know that is far from a mma fighter. I will get back into shape. Muscle confusion is ideal. I am not trying to build so I am using this technique to burn fat, and build lean muscle mass. When I was in the military I was doing pyamids mostly, and that is where I got my power, but I would still mix in circut, and low weiht high rep days. I think you both have great points of view, but for arguements sake this is a power forum.

#66 ·
Wow this is great area to discuss MMA... i love the post very informative i can surely use them for my daily routines... they are not just theoretical posts i know they are for real im just a newbie but reading from up above statements i learn a lot from it...

There are few post contents that is barely hard for me to interact with but i certainly doing my best to understand and put them in actions..

Long way run for me to finally get through it...

--MMA virtual Resource-- the fundamentals for MMA fanatics

#67 ·
Rope training for strength and cardio training?

My gym has this machine and they recently held a contest with it. I saw this machine in the gym but didn't use it until I had the chance to win an IPOD. It was AMAZING! Check out this link - my gym put a short video of the contest online:

http://www.marpokinetics.com/contests/inshape.htm

Does anyone know if rope training is becoming the next recommended training method for strength and cardio cross training? I know the UFC Gym also has these rope trainers.

#68 ·
Old thread I know. But that SgtSixPack douchebag just made me so ANGRY I had to chip in my two cents worth.

It seems that people still don't understand the difference between strength training, power training, bodybuilding, aerobic endurance, anaerobic endurance and Cardio. (I'm looking at YOU sgt Douche)

I'm a big fan of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and the Stronglifts program. Google that $#!T...Both dispel many common misconceptions about STRENGTH training and provide valuable routines for maximising strenght gains in the minimum amount of time. They are also very similar to the OPs program...Coincidence? I think not, programs like this are the best way to get strong, a lot of people eventually figure this out for themselves, but the OP has already done it for you. Do your research, understand why he's right and buy some iron.

Also, Squatting isn't bad for your knees, Olympic lifters squat ATG ALL THE TIME. I think that there's a lot more research behind world level competitive teams than there is behind BBing at your local gym.

Also, the traps are a back muscle... are you retarded?

#70 ·
Also, the traps are a back muscle... are you retarded?
Can't believe I made u angry from 2007...

If u read again it wasn't me who said the traps were a back muscle it was the OP, I believe I just said that u train traps after shoulders.

I don't train traps I just do 210kg deadlifts. I can flip a 350kg tire too. Now go ahead and get more angry.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.