Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Aches and pains under the shins?

852 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  davidm724 
#1 ·
I recently began training in kickboxing, so I incorporated a few minutes of jumping rope daily on top of my normal cardio. I noticed a strange soreness underneith my shin bone that I never felt before when I was just running for cardio. It's a difficult, nearly impossible place to stretch out the muscle, and it hasn't seemed to go away since I started. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, if it's normal, and if there is any way to treat or prevent it. I've been laying off it for periods until the pain diminishes, but it just comes back the next time I jump rope. If the answer is to push through the pain then that's what I'll do.

#2 ·
working through pain that isnt fatigue or muscle soreness is usually a bad idea, and this doesnt sound like either of those. look up shin splints (impact related injuries in the shin). people who arnt used to running or jumping sometimes get inflamation of certain muscles or connective tissue that causes pain. even though you run and it doesnt happen still doesnt rule it out. something you may think to look into.

#4 ·
Man shin splints can be a bitch. i had them in high school when playing football or running track. Do you have flat feet? It can be crippling. Look into seeing a sports orthopedist (sp) hey might be able to get you some insoles for your shoes that may help. It has everything to do with it. They can narrow down what it is that is causing it and what areas of your feet need support.

#5 ·
I actually don't have flat feet. From what I've researched, the muscles in the front of my leg by the shin bone are too weak to support the stronger muscles in the back. This imbalance causes an inflamation of the tissue connecting the muscle to the shin bone. Basically, jumping up isn't a problem, but landing back down uses the weaker muscles in the front. I learned pretty quickly to alternate my feet when jumping rope, but it's too much weight and impact for each foot to support, so I've gone back to 2 foot jumps until my leg muscles become more balanced. I also found some exercises, like standing against a wall and lifting my feet at the ankles and curling my toes back, which also works those front muscles. So far the results are pretty good.

#6 ·
if i remember right (Which i might be wrong)that's what shin splints are. The inflamation of the smaller muscle that runs up the front of the shin. it is always some kind of imbalance that causes it ie. flat feet poor running form ect.

i would take it easy and take some anti inflam med as well as make sure I have good support/my shoes are in good condition. At least that's what I had to do as well as the insole healcup thing. STRETCH as well. before after and during.

#7 ·
One thing I found helpful is to write your ABC's with your feet while sitting down. Try to get full range of motion, and repeat the ABC's many times throughout each day, whenever you think about it. It's very easy, and the repetitive motion strengthens the weakest muscles around your tibia/fibula. The ABC's may seem 'elementary', but it helps get every angle and every weak supporting muscle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.