Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Let's all honor Yves Lavigne

849 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Biowza 
#1 ·
I remember yesterday when I watched ufc 75 with my 2yo younger brother and sai:
"yay, Yves Lavinge! Now this guy ain't stopping any fight prematurely"

I mean both as a ref and physically he is the opposite of Herb Dean! And thanks to him we got a great comeback from Marcus Davis (since every other ref would had stopped it).

#5 ·
Herb Dean

Herb has made more than one mistake in the cage. It was pretty bad for awhile, he has gotten better.

I think Big John stands fighters up too much. I think the fighter should have to figure out how to get up, (as much as I LOVE the strikeing)

Yves is a good Ref, and he did a great job with Marcus Davis. Marcus did a better job though... WOW!!!!:praise01: :thumb02:

#6 ·
I was worried he was about to stop it, I was like "Please don't stop it, those hammer fists aren't doing anything." I even told my brother "He could stop it soon, those hammer fists aren't doing much but hes gotta defend against them!"

Good job by Yves and good comeback by Davis.

#8 ·
That was an excellent refere decision. I would have stopped that fight as for a period of about 3 seconds Marcus Davis was out and getting pounded by Hammerfists.

Marcus Davis must have told Yves not to stop the fight unless his head was cracked open or something. The fighters have a large say as to when to stop the fight. They speak to the ref before the event and tell them "stop it if im taking alot of punches" or "leave it as late as possible". Im sure this would have affected Yves decision. At one stage Yves charged in about to stop it and then changed his mind at the last second. Joe Rogan commented on it.

#10 ·
joppp said:
I remember yesterday when I watched ufc 75 with my 2yo younger brother and sai:
"yay, Yves Lavinge! Now this guy ain't stopping any fight prematurely"

I mean both as a ref and physically he is the opposite of Herb Dean! And thanks to him we got a great comeback from Marcus Davis (since every other ref would had stopped it).

Yeah, that was good reffing. Some refs would've stopped that, but clearly Davis was still with it and trying to defend himself. Good call and a great fight.

#11 ·
pauly_j said:
Wasn't it Yves who let the nog / herring fight continue after the HK? If so, I think he's the best ref in the UFC at the minute.
Just re-watched that fight and yes indeedy it was Yves Lavigne who was the referee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.