Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

TUF 6 Has a Slight Rules Change

1K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  raymardo 
#1 ·
I love this rules change and think going forward the show will that much better for it. First they got rid of the stupid challenges and then cut out one whole weight class-whcih I also loved. Now the coaches cannot "have the hammer" and make easy fights for their fighters. I think this is going to be the best season-eva.

Thoughts...

Link:“The Ultimate Fighter 6″ Will Include Small Rules Change -- UFC news at UFCjunkie.com
“Now, what we’ve done is this. With the coin toss, you pick the first fighter or you pick the first fight. But if you pick the first fight, it only means you get to pick that one matchup because after that, it alternates.“

In other words, a coach can’t go on a winning streak and play matchmaker for an extended period of time.

“We wanted to make the whole process a little more balanced going forward,” Diamond said.

#3 ·
pt447 said:
that's awesome. i hated how every episode was literally about makin the easiest fight possible. it's dumb. it should be about the best matchups, like it would be in reality. what are you learning if your coaches only ever have you fight the easy fight?
I disagree completely. The reason why that was good, was because we would have all the tomato cans like Andy Wang and Danny Abbadi out in the first round. Now if it is alternating, expect for a lot of the weaker guys to make it through to the next round, and for some good fighters to get eliminated early. Did you guys see how perfect TUF 5 ended up in the match making process? All the cans got eliminated early.

I personally liked the old way better. If you win, you get control.

#4 ·
brownpimp88 said:
I disagree completely. The reason why that was good, was because we would have all the tomato cans like Andy Wang and Danny Abbadi out in the first round. Now if it is alternating, expect for a lot of the weaker guys to make it through to the next round, and for some good fighters to get eliminated early. Did you guys see how perfect TUF 5 ended up in the match making process? All the cans got eliminated early.

Exactly. I don't see how this would benefit the show at all, but whatever. I think that they should pick the weakest fighters out, because if not you might end up with someone like Wayne Weems as your TUF champion. That would suck.

#5 ·
brownpimp88 said:

I did too, but w/e, maybe it'll make for a better TUF, who knows?

#7 ·
Wawaweewa said:
When he says it alternates, does that mean one coach picks a fight, then the other coach picksthe next fight? Because if that's it, then this realy doesn't get rid of easy fights, it just means more than one team will benefit from them.
Exactly. On TUF 5 all the cans were eliminated from BJ's team first cuase Pulver had control. As soon as he had to throw one of his cans out there all his were eliminated.

#9 ·
brownpimp88 said:
Hey brownpimp, love your posts but respectfully disagree this time :) alternating hammer will ensure that the best fighters last to the end. As it was, the team that could keep the hammer would pick only the sweetest matchups and protect their weak fighters. Now each coach will have an equal chance to put his best guy against the other team's weakest, which means we'll see the toughest guys on BOTH teams staying to the end.

#11 ·
pt447 said:
that's awesome. i hated how every episode was literally about makin the easiest fight possible. it's dumb. it should be about the best matchups, like it would be in reality. what are you learning if your coaches only ever have you fight the easy fight?
We still won't see the toughest guys fighting each other early on. All this means is that the two coaches will alternate trying to create the most lopsided matchup possible. The weak guys on each team will be weeded out much more quickly. This will improve the quality of the finalists and winner imho.

#14 ·
well if it alternates, coaches will yell at their team a lot less for losing constantly, and not being able to choose. But I liked the coaches winning then choosing, just watching Tito have Ed Herman wait till the last prelim. fight was a lot of fun. Every episode: "Tito is playing mind games with me!!"

#15 ·
I cannot wait

I think there are good arguments on both side. I will therefore reserve judgement and see if we get a good season.
I will say this if the viewership does not increase, or if they do not figure in TIVO viewers then this show might be DEAD. All I hear is bitching about the ratings.

#16 ·
we'll only know if the rule change was a good one through the trial and error process. but either way, with a "hammer" or not, even the better fighters are not "ensured" to move far into the tournament. remember, everyone has a puncher's chance!

#17 ·
Cowmilker said:
Exactly. I don't see how this would benefit the show at all, but whatever. I think that they should pick the weakest fighters out, because if not you might end up with someone like Wayne Weems as your TUF champion. That would suck.
exactly i think the old way makes for more exciting finales and and end season fights.

#19 ·
brownpimp88 said:
I disagree completely. The reason why that was good, was because we would have all the tomato cans like Andy Wang and Danny Abbadi out in the first round.
Andy Wang, a can. Are you kidding?

The Wangster will be champion someday. He was robbed on the show. He was clearly the most lethal fighter there.

If they had an open Grand Prix UFC tournament, he'd roll right through everyone: Rampage, Shogun, Liddell, GSP. Line 'em up, Wang will knock them down.

Okay. Okay. I was just kidding.

The rule change could allow inferior fighters, like Wang, to advance further in the competition than they should. They should keep the old system which would ensure that the weak get picked off early.

We will see competitive matchups against equally skilled fighters under this new system, but they may be fights between to low level skilled guys, The bad thing is that one of them will advance and he may face a guy who advanced in the same fashion as he did.

If this happens a few times, you could have a Wang or an Abaddi in the finals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.