Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Can Mir or Gonzaga sumit Big Nog?

830 views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Asian Sensation 
#1 ·
Can Mir submit Nog? How would he fare against him?

The same goes for Gonzaga. How would he do?

I WANT TO KNOW! :)

oh yeah, and who trained Mir in BJJ?

#2 ·
Gonzaga would overpower him. But maybe not submit him.

I have NO idea about Mir though. Probably not. He got owned by babalu in a submission match. But what's that saying? Babalu is a great grappler.

Anyway, My big question is: What would a fight between Mir vs Cro Cop be like?

Mir is 2-2. Cro Cop is 1-2... Mir is coming off a BIG win. Cro Cop is coming off to big losses. i think this would make for a very interesting fight.

#4 ·
Nog is too good for Mir. He'd avoid anything Mir throws at him long enough for Mir to get tired and get his own sub.

Gonzaga might have a chance though. He's very good on the ground and would have a power advantage imo.

#5 ·
No, I don't see either guy tapping Nogueira.

Mir would be too gassed to even attempt a sub after Nogueira stopped every one of his attempts.

Gonzaga is really good on the ground, but again, I don't see it happening.

Nogueira has never been subbed in his MMA career. He has faced guys like Fedor, Ricco, Werdum, Kikuta, Horn, TK, Barnett, and Overeem. None of those guys subbed him. If none of them did, then what makes you think Gonzaga and freakin' Mir will?

Yeah, he has been subbed in ADCC, but MMA is quite different than that.

#6 ·
Flak said:
Nog is too good for Mir. He'd avoid anything Mir throws at him long enough for Mir to get tired and get his own sub.

Gonzaga might have a chance though. He's very good on the ground and would have a power advantage imo.
I think quite the opposite.
If gonzaga would win(which I highly doubt) it would be with strikes. I think Mir has a much better chance of actually submitting Nog. THat being said, I don't really think he could either. I mean, Babalu is a great fighter, but if you lose to a guy thats 20 lbs lighter than you, how are you gonna beat an amazing bjj guy thats weighs close to or over your weight? Nog is a strong dude, and I don't think Mir could pull off a successful sub. :dunno:

#7 ·
I still see Gonzaga as a grappler. I think his strikes are a secondary weapon. Im not saying he will sub Nog, but i think he has a reasonable chance, albeit a slim one considering Nog's sub defense.

Why do you think Mir has a better chance?

#8 ·
Flak said:
I still see Gonzaga as a grappler. I think his strikes are a secondary weapon. Im not saying he will sub Nog, but i think he has a reasonable chance, albeit a slim one considering Nog's sub defense.

Why do you think Mir has a better chance?
Gonzaga is better on the ground, however, he likes to strike(vs CC and vs Randy he used those leg kicks, particularly vs Randy, which is where he broke Coutures arm lol). Although he may have the ability, I don't think he would be the one taking Nog down, and I don't think he will sub Nog while on the bottom.
Mir has subbed guys on the bottom. Mir is almost purely BJJ, which is pretty much the reason why he isn't up there with the well rounded guys(like Nog). I think Mir would sub GG, and thus would have a better shot at Nog. But like I stated, it probably wouldn't happen either.

#9 ·
hard to say

gg would most likely take it....for hype reasons

#11 ·
Mir wouldn't have a chance, as good as he is at BJJ Nog is def. better. Plus Mir hasn't been overly impresive since his accident.
Gonzaga would have a chance if he could get on top, but I still doubt it. Nog is just to good. But i would def. say that Gonzaga has a better chance than Mir.

#15 ·
Big Nog has some of the best submissions in the world...could one of these guys submit him? Maybe, but I see it being MUCH more likely that he submits them. Big Nog has like 30 MMA wins and I think about 20 are submissions. So to answer the question: no.

#19 ·
crispin1003 said:
without the accident id say mir would have a chance but not on his performances recently. never know this could be a future match if mir gets on a roll and on figt night anything can happen.
Pre-accident Mir wouldn't sub Nogueira, either. The big myth is that pre-accident Mir was this unstoppable force, who didn't have any flaws. That's not true. Mir's gas tank back then was utter garbage. He'd gas before he even got the chance to attempt a sub on Nogueira.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.